Images won't boot

Just received a radxa zero, with eMMC, and cannot get an image to boot.

Its the same symptom every time, so I figure I must be doing something wrong over and over.

I erase the eMMC. That works, I use Balena Etcher to write an image (have tried Ubuntu, Deban, Armbain…all 3), and after what appears to be a successful write, I power down the board, connect hdmi, and connect power, and I then I enter this endless loop of attempted boots, and the board seems to be saying it cannot find a file it needs, board resets, and we repeat.

I do not have mouse and keyboard connected (waiting on a usb-c hub) so not sure if the prompt I get early on regarding autoboot requires a response (the way its worded, hard to tell), or what. But unless its that autoboot option response i need at the beginning of the boot, I can’t think of a reason the mouse/kb is needed for this thing to boot.

I have tried installing the OS with the rz-udisk-loader.bin file installed, and without. No difference.

I know I must be missing some fundamental step, or doing something wrong. I’ve followed the wiki directions to the letter, or so I think, but so far, nada,

Suggestions?

Figured it out. Wrong file downloaded from git…I was grabbing the mbr, not the entire image. Working fine now that I have a complete image installed.

A more (or less?) funny is the fact, that the current radxa ubuntu images really don’t boot out-of-the-box. In the other thread I have described the issue, so I put the link here for people looking for the problem. (Radxa does not look like to have noticed anything and fix it.)

An additional issue is the fact, that the boot partition is not marked as msdos/FAT type, so that other systems have problems to automount it and it must be (force)mounted manually in order to fix the problem.