Hello. Could you please tell me how to activate i2s audio output in Radxa OS on my a5e board? What is the simplest way to do it? I have no experience with building kernels and have limited understanding of Linux.
have you already used rsetup ?
yes. used rsetup. there’s only camera, display, usb, spi, uart and twi enabled. in the OS have i2s sound driver. maybe I need should add i2s overlay. can you tell me how to do this?
yes you need an overlay usually. but I do not use Radxa OS, cannot tell you more then just generic principle.
it seems that the current linux kernel does not have i2s support for this board. It’s a pity, but we’ll have to wait for the release of the 6.18 core.
This is what I found about I2S in the a5e so far:
The hardware does have I2S capability, and the A5E exposes I2S2 signals on the 40-pin header. The complication is that, in the current Radxa OS image, I2S2 is already mapped to HDMI audio.
So the issue is not that the board lacks I2S. The issue is that the current Device Tree uses the I2S2 controller as sndhdmi.
To use I2S on the header, we would need to change the Device Tree configuration, with an overlay, to:
- stop using I2S2 as HDMI audio;
- switch i2s2_plat from HDMI mode to normal I2S mode;
- enable the I2S2 pinmux for the header pins;
- configure BCLK, LRCK, optional MCLK, and DOUT;
- create or adjust an ALSA sound card entry for the external DAC.
Soon I will try to test this idea..