How to power when using USB-OTG?

Hello,

I am currently experimenting with the ROCK 5B board and am very happy so far. However, now I want to connect it via USB-OTG to my PC to emulate a mouse and keyboard and possibly a storage device. I want it to be powered independent on whether the PC is running, so I need a way to power the board without using the USB-OTG-Port (which from my understanding is that same USB Type-C-Port, correct?).

I read that driving it via GPIO pins with 3A is cutting it very close if you are using the NVMe slot, which I do, and indeed, I wasn’t able to get it to boot up in this scenario. It seems to be stuck in a reboot loop.

So, my question is, is there any way to power the ROCK 5B board with sufficient (15W+?) power without using USB-C, so presumably by using 9V or 12V? Or is there some kind of adapter that allows me to power it via USB-C using a PD-power brick while at the same time having a PC connected via OTG at USB 3.0 speeds?

Thank you for your inputs!

you can use a usb-otg-Cable like this~
下载.webp (45.7 KB)

any usb-type c “dock” sold on the market should allow this. they usually have either a PD or DC Barrel connector while exposing multiple ports. this does also work as OTG

I find it very hard to believe that I can use any USB Type-C dock to achieve what I want. I don’t want to attach a usb mouse/drive to my ROCK5 while powering it. I want the ROCK5 to act like a USB mouse/drive while powering it, while connected to a PC.

@abel, thank you for the USB-OTG-Cable suggestion. Looking at a few options out there I can’t find a definitive answer as to whether they support USB 3.0 transfer speeds (5 Gbits) or only USB 2.0. Do you happen to have an answer to that?

all the dock does is multiplex out usb-3 - at least with my cheap one from Renkforce this does work in OTG mode.(I couldnt test it with more than a teensy microcontroler as usb host though - limited imagination back then

@John_Deaux Thank you for clarifying. I thought you were talking about more sophisticated “docks” with HDMI/Ethernet and stuff like that. But I take it you were suggesting something like this? This looks quite promising. I’ll give it a try!

Honestly I was talking about one of those more sophisticated ones as that’s all I have(and therefore could test) problem imho is that the definition of “dock” is nothing like what I grew up on(anyone still remember the docking connectors on mid 90s and early 2000s notebooks will know what I mean. These modern day things do work nevertheless as they are actually pretty agnostic in terms of what they transmit

Hi bobby,
Did this reinkforce cable work for you?
Or did you find any good alternative?

Hi @Rockpi_fan,

unfortunately, that cable did not work for me. In the end, I decided to reduce the PCIe load to <15W and use GPIO to power it instead.