How to Enable Auto Boot on Power for Radxa NIO 12L with Ubuntu 22.04

Hello,

I am using a Radxa NIO 12L, running Ubuntu 22.04. My power button is in a difficult-to-reach location, and I would like my system to automatically boot up when the power cable is connected.

I’ve tried looking into various methods, including U-Boot configurations, but I haven’t been able to find a clear solution for this specific device. Here is what I need:

• When I plug in the power cable, the system should automatically turn on and boot into Ubuntu without needing to press the power button.

Could anyone guide how to achieve this with the Radxa NIO 12L? Any detailed steps, U-Boot commands, or relevant settings would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

There are two Type-C port on NIO 12L, Type-C power port and Type-C Download port.

For current hardware, these are the behaviors.

• When Type-C Download port is plugged in (with PC port or power adapter), plug in the Type-C power adapter into the power port, the system will boot.
  • When Type-C Download port is not plugged in, plug in the Type-C power adapter into the power port and press power key (PW_KEY), the system will boot.

You want to make the system automatically boot up without D/L port and power key. You need to modify the hardware. Please see page 13 of NIO 12L schematic, https://dl.radxa.com/nio12l/docs/hw/radxa_nio_12l_v1300_schematic.pdf. Remove resistor R95396 and add resistor R95397 with 0 Ohm.

1 Like