How to drive GPU for offical ubuntu focal

I tried to follow https://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/Sgminer to drive the GPU, but I got error on installing mali-midgard-dkms

Building for 4.4.154-115-rockchip-g00fccd37c63c
Building for architecture arm64
This package appears to be a binaries-only package
you will not be able to build against kernel 4.4.154-115-rockchip-g00fccd37c63c
since the package source was not provided
Loading new mali-midgard-16.0 DKMS files…
Building for 4.4.154-115-rockchip-g00fccd37c63c
Building initial module for 4.4.154-115-rockchip-g00fccd37c63c
ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-4.4.154-115-rockchip-g00fccd37
c63c is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.4.154-115-rockchip-g00fcc
d37c63c (aarch64)

the linux headers package is installed. I also tried Armbian with legacy media support, but it had no help for xserver acceleration. It’s interesting that in offical linux the clinfo show GPU with 200MHz, but in Armbian legacy support it was 800MHz.

There is no guide for rockchip offical xserver in offical git “rockchip-linux”, so I don’t know how to build the xserver for my pi.

Twister OS can’t to be installed in EMMC, because it won’t boot. It only work in uSD, and the clinfo showed nothing.

Any one can tell me how to make the GPU work? or give me some hint so I can work for it. Will radxa improve the GPU using in the future plan?

x-acceleration works in Armbian OOB. But not with stock legacy kernel (which is more or less the same proprietary Rockchip based crap) and not with XFCE.

Tune into Armbian forums for more info: https://forum.armbian.com/

Twister OS Armbian is a re-branded Armbian with changed wallpaper and some additional software and changes that are known only to its author. It looks like @jtremblant forgot to copy a few things. He choose not to disclose on what was changed, even he legally should due to the licence of (all) used components. How he created that image - perhaps by hand?

Official Linux comes from www.kernel.org … Probably you mean chip (board) vendor preview quality Linux to demonstrate hardware functionality then forgetting about?

“The offical linux”, I mean the linux system provided by Radxa for these boards. I installed the debian buster and ubuntu focal from Radxa wiki, then installed the rockchip midgard support. In clinfo, it showed the frequency as 200MHz, with 0 util. Armbian legacy support is 800MHz, and the util can change with load.

Rockchip did some work and is gitable on the “rockchip-linux” git, but they said nothing about how to use these things. Armbian and Twister done great work, but the board support is not enough.

Where did you find evidences of Twister OS development? You mean 3rd party work promoted by TwisterOS?

Armbian has certainly a lot to show:

Perhaps supporting Armbian might help to improve software support?

What is missing? What is worse? I will not even try to convince you to see the value … just do a better research.

It is cheaper to make image based on stock Rockchip kernel (like Radxa do), but supporting it, running a Linux with proprietary 4.4.y kernel full of dirty hacks? No thanks. Your question is just one of the reasons. Open source people (Librelec, Armbian, Collabora, Arch, Manjaro, Debian, …) generally avoid to deal with deprecated private kernels full of dirty hacks that are not possible to port to mainline without serious refactoring. Also for support reasons - supporting yet another private kernel adds to the costs everyone tries to avoid … So you are down to Rockchip / Radxa … which both lack capacity, motivation, skills …

Remember. Vendor kernels are primarily focused to demonstrate hardware features and they can only do that on a frozen in time kernel. It is far more difficult to create support around mainline kernel, like Armbian do, like Librelec do and a few others.

What makes you think it will be any better? Where do you think Radxa gets general Rockchip updates on their legacy kernel?