How to change boot device?

Thanks Eric for pointing that out!

I also ran into this issue. I flashed the SPI and installed the Debian image from the downloads page on my NVMe drive. Whenever I had the SD card and NVMe drive plugged in at the same time it wouldn’t boot from the SD card and always from the drive.

After purchasing a USB to NVMe adapter so that I can use my PC to flash Armbian onto the drive it would actually boot from the SD card if both are plugged in at the same time, and not from the NVMe drive. My best guess is that it’s an issue when booting from an SD card and then flashing the NVMe drive with Debian directly on the Rock 5.

Another thing to note is that it could also just be an issue with the Debian image version listed on the downloads page. Looks like it’s dated 20221031 at the time of writing, but the latest available on GitHub is 20230201. Although this is unconfirmed.

Hi everyone!

I am totally new into SBC but I try to understand it…

I read this thread but at the end I don’t understand… it’s possible to change the SPI for booting via SSD (NVME) but when inserting an SD card to boot the OS on there?

My idea is to boot Android 12 from the internal SSD (NVME) and to boot Batocera from the Micro SD card and using the SSD (NVME) as storage in there….

This is an option you think? Help would be appreciated :heart: and sorry for my dumb questions… :innocent:

Kind regards and have a nice day! jeroen

I had this issue (and I still have it).

The problem as I see it is as follows: It is true that if the SPI is zeroed, it loads the SD card. However, the SD card checks which device to boot from as well. So the SBC boots up, loads the SD card, that sees a working NVMe and then boots that, skipping the SD card.

See [SOLVED] Boot problem (my own fault; not USB PD related) where there was a solution, but for some reason I can’t get this to work anymore.

1 Like