How good does LibreElec run on the Rock PI 4?

Hi friends how are you all doing?

I have a plan to build a Media Center, so I’m looking for a SBC with support to 4K60fps with also 3.0 usb ports. So I ended up finding the Rock Pi 4. The thing is that I can’t find much information about people using the Kodi/LibreElec system in it. My questions are:

Does LibreElec have any issue due to the Rockchip 3399?
What about the 4K video, does it work with 60fps?

I’m aware that the Raspberry Pi 4 has been just released and it has the same features I’m looking for, however the Rock Pi 4 still has more to offer like the ssd slot and rtc jumper.

Thanks for the attention!

LibreELEC actually is progressing very fast for Rockchip RK3399 devices.
Just 2 days ago there was mainline work done for HDR support with metadata.
So in a few months all will work perfect.

http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-RK3399.arm-9.1.001-rock-pi-4.img.gz?mirrorlist

You can follow the Rockchip Rock Pi 4 and mainline threads in the LibreELEC forum
https://forum.libreelec.tv/board/43-rockchip/

RK3399 chipsets supports 10-bit H264 and HDR which the RBP 4 does’t support, 4K@60hz will also perform better on the Rock Pi 4.
Mainline support should be merged soon in the nightly images then things will progress even faster.

1 Like

Those are great news!
As I want to build a media center I don’t really need more then LibreELEC working. Also I don’t think it’s ok to already buy the RBP 4B already knowing that in the future(not so close I think) they will release the PLUS version.

At this time I am using a RBP 3B+ with Suptronics boards(x820 and x735) it runs perfectly for Full HD movies, however I want to be testing the 4K movies soon.

Thanks for the help and for sharing the links!

Hi

You can test the new LibreELEC image I made for the RockPi 4.
https://forum.radxa.com/t/libreelec-rockpi-4/1869/2

If there are any bugs, please post a log.

I tested H264, 10-bit H264, H265, mpeg2, VP9, HDR, wifi on a 1080p tv and everything seemed to work fine. Will do some tests on a 4K tv later.

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but libreelec is just a barebones OS to support running kodi/xbmc, isn’t it? So what then is the motivation of doing that vs running it on Android or Debian, each of which offer functionality far in advance of just xbmc?

The way I understand it, libreelec was there to make xbmc work on hardware that was far too limited to do anything else, like rpi. This hardware is so much more capable than that, that it is a shame to waste it like that rather than making more full use of it.

LibreELEC uses the latest drivers for eg. the GPU, VPU, ffmpeg, mpp video codecs, other components, Linux packages like Samba, dvb dongles etc. which is a lot older on Android.
Eg, Android uses Samba v2 while LE uses v4.9
With Android you also have a minimum of 850MB RAM already in use and more than 30 google services running in the background interfering and collecting your data while LibreELEC only uses 250MB RAM and can run from a 4GB micro-sd card. 5 years from now, you can still build the latest LibreELEC and it will work out of the box while Android will require updates from Google, Rockchip, Radxa and all the component vendors to adapt it to a new Android OS while at that time some of the vendors might have gone out of business which will complicate things.

LE also has much better 4K@50/60hz video playback compared to Android since all the power can be used just for video rendering and not be wasted on rendering the Android UI and services too. CPU usage playing the same videos are sometimes a 1/3 or 1/2 of that of Android.
Lots of users also have better playback and compatibility with their DVB dongles watching Live TV with PVR addons in LE compared with using Kodi on Android.

You can also use software decoding in LE and play 1080p Netflix which is blocked on Android since Google/Netflix only allows hardware acceleration on Android for it and must certify the device first which is not possible on open-source ARM devices.

I would say running LE is also more simplistic and can work well with wireless remotes compared to a whole Debian OS that might take some time to setup and is not very remote friendly sitting further away on a couch. For users only wanting to stream or watch movies, not do anything else, it works great.

I’m trying to find ways to dual-boot Android and LibreELEC so people can use Android and when they intend to do serious movie watching or streaming to boot easily to LE.

just because radxa never delivered you working debian out of the box does not mean there are no other users who did it.

I disagree with your post on quite a lot. With mainline and vulkan you get quite impressive benchmarks. I agree that if LE fits your needs and you are happy with it, use it despite what other say.

I can play fullhd flawless right after ubuntu installation (third party image) as well as I can do much more than just that.

I have just downloaded and flashed it. So I will keep you updated in case I run into any issue.

Wow.
Everything you said there basically translates to “it won’t work well on Android”.
Fact is that it works flawlessly on Android. Everything you say doesn’t work… works.
Sounds to me like you’re trying to make a simple situation needlessly complicated.