How do I automatically log in to root?

The way I searched for it on the web was to change /etc/inittab, but I didn’t find this file in Armbian Focal, is there any other way?

This is highly discouraged, unless you have some extremely compelling reason to break the system’s security; the root account should only be used temporarily, for the duration that system administration tasks are necessary, then logged out of immediately when done. Are you sure you want to do this? It’s safer to log in manually either from a prompt or (over SSH, as root logins should be disabled) from an unprivliged account.

But I couldn’t control Rockpis when I had the network.I want to be able to automatically connect to the Internet and run apt-get to install some software.
The process of needing to log in to my account after I boot up seemed to prevent me from doing so.

The unprivileged user can’t use apt with default settings; you have to log into the root account to do it, but the proper way is to log into it manually. If you’re logging in over SSH, you have to log into your unprivileged account first, then run “su -” to become root (you can also use sudo if you only need to run one or two commands). If you’re using the serial console, you can log in directly as root.

1 Like