Help: How to use 64-bit Debian/Ubuntu (server) OS

Hi guys. Just got my new RockPi4 yesterday and been trying to get my setup working since then.

I’m trying to have a software setup and one of its dependencies require a 64-bit GNU-Linux. I understand that the RockPi hardware itself is 64-bit but the currently available Debian and Ubuntu downloads are 32-bit.

So, I’d like to know how I can get a 64-bit Debian or Ubuntu that will work with the Rockpi4.

I already tried downloading the arm64 variant of Debian 9 from [here] but it did not boot. The only thing I got working properly so far, is the Linaro Debian from the downloads page. But again, the problem is that variant is armhf (32-bit) and I need the arm64.

I’d greatly appreciate if someone can just point me to the right direction.

Hi,

Currently the ubuntu server image we released is arm64.

You can build your own arm64 debian image following the instructions here:

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/dev/Debian

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll try this.

I forgot to mention about the Ubuntu image - I couldn’t get it to work when I tried it before, the eth0 network interface doesn’t seem to automatically be raised up. So I couldn’t get online even when the device is already connected via LAN cable. But this has been answered here.

When i try to get the

sudo apt-get install gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu

I get an error

Package gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu’ has no installation candidate

I am folloing this tutorial: Build Debian

Thanks
Pierre

We don’t suggest to build the whole image on ROCK Pi 4, it’s not tested. gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu is for HOST PC cross compiling, runs on x86 and generate arm64 binaries. If you want to compile on ROCK Pi 4, you just need to install gcc on ROCK Pi 4, it runs on ROCK Pi 4 and generate binaries running on ROCK Pi 4.

1 Like