HA on Rock Pi 4 using Ubuntu, Docker and NVMe Drive Install Guide

I created a quick tutorial on installing Home Assistant on a Rock Pi 4b+ for anyone that is interested.
It uses Ubuntu 18.04 as the OS. Uses the NVMe drive for the root filesystem (/boot is on the eMMC) which should alleviate SD Card failures people are seeing on Raspberry Pi’s.

This is a brand new setup for me so it has not been thoroughly tested other that the few days I’ve had this setup, but so far it is working great. Much faster than my Raspberry Pi 3+.

https://github.com/Lymkin/RockP_4_Home_Assistant_Build

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing. This is very nice. :slight_smile:

Glad to help out the community!

I followed everything from the install guide but still when I was going to install itunes on windows 7 it crashed and I could not install it again. Please help me to fix the problem.

Looks like the HA Install script moved to a new location on GitHub. I have updated my instructions to reflect the new location.

1 Like

There are and have been full scripts for Ubuntu with all desktops. Difference to your guide is that you do not need to do any steps which you wrote. Here are some additions which you might want to change.

1. The easiest and fastest way would be wget someurl | dd … of= /dev/nvme0n1p1
  2. You do not need at all to change anyything in extlinux, PARTUUID is picked up, changing it causes issues on upgrade.
  3. Unminize is not required at all, only if user has no clue which packages are required, for minimal setup I would not recommend it.
  4. Instead of using nano, use onboard tools, you do not need nano and you do not need newcomers to edit files in nano, it raises the chance that mistake will happen, insted, use tee:

cat <<EOF tee /etc/hosts
ADD STUFF YOU NEED
EOF

to change existing line:

sed -i 's/localhost\.localdomain/rock/' /etc/hostname

@jack get cevap’s scripts/images back please, they covered much more than just simple installation, I would be ready to pay but I have no clue where to find that user.

Wait? You are not cevap? I thought you are just him.

thanks for a compliment, in the meantime I found out that cevap is not one user but a community, I guess you did not find it out :slight_smile:

@jack is this a bug of this forum software?:

it is not shown correctly:

Do we have to use codebox?

The forum supports markdown, if you want to use code, you can just start a new line with 4 spaces.

to change existing line:

sed -i ‘s/localhost.localdomain/rock/’ /etc/hostname

jack, why is \ hidden before “.”, why does forum soft show

'\.'

as ‘.’?
or

"\"

shown as empty: “”

That is my point, users HAVE to use codebox, maybe giving the editor icon with “Show source” would be good. Editor here is not good.

As you say that it supports markdown, it does partialy, it does not cover full support of markdown.

This is because \ is the Escape character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_character

The post editor is standard discourse editor, which left is the source code and right is the preview.

I love useless replies :frowning:, (.)(.)flash
Your explanation is unclear as well as “wrong”. Considering your reply it means all escapes, here you see that it is not a case:

Linux path:

/usr/home

/usr/home
Windows path:

C:\Windows

Now if a dot is there:

$APPDATA\..\test.sh

“$APPDATA…\test.sh”
‘$APPDATA…\test.sh’

It does not get always hidden, just sometimes => NOT USABLE unless you write in codebox or you know all ways of how it is changes, but to fork users posts is straight stupid, not sure why devs enabled it by default and even less sure why you did not disable it => you did not care.

If you do not care about it, that is fine, but editor is terrible and if it forks users post, as u user I would prefer if Editor is disabled by default

I would preffer if there is no preview window using half of my screen and showing different places than I am in coding now.

etc…

@jack the link you gave me explains what Escape character is, thanks for the link, but that does not explain the question/problem.