[Guide] Rock 5 with AX200 bluetooth on Armbian is working (unofficial)

I’ve done some investigation from other OS/hardware and now is able to use AX200 Bluetooth with Rock 5 and Armbian. I’ll put my work record here FYI.

My Environment:
Rock 5B + AX200NGW + Armbian Jammy (rolling release) + ubuntu-desktop
Laptop Shinelon M7 + RTL8852CE + Ubuntu jammy (LTS) + xubuntu-desktop

Additional Software: blueman

The driver I finally get it works: iwlwifi-cc-a0-53.ucode

Prerequisite:

1. Make sure bluez and blueman is installed on both side ( You can use armbian-config to install bluez on rock 5b, then use apt to install blueman)

Instructions:

1. lsusb | grep Blue to ensure you have AX200 Bluetooth
  2. apt install armbian-firmware-full to ensure you have intel wifi/bt card driver
  3. reboot the board, dmesg | grep iwl to see the driver you loaded, e.g. “loaded firmware version … cc-a0-59.ucode”
  4. use hciconfig to see if you have device hci0, and use hciconfig hci0 up to try bring it up.
  5. go into bluetoothctl, in [bluetooth] cli, use show to check for your BT controller.
  6. If there is no BT controller, then you need to rollback the intel wifi/bt driver, quit bluetooth cli.
  7. cd /usr/lib/firmware, check for related driver ls iwlwifi-cc-a0-*.ucode
  8. remove the firmware you loaded in step 3, either delete the file or move it away works.
  9. reboot, and repeat step 3 to 8, until you see a connector in step 5 and wifi is also working.
  10. Use any way you like to pair, trust and connect to another device! ( I use bluetoothctl for connection then blueman for sending files) You can search for tutorials for bluetoothctl from the internet.

Note: If you got errors related to bluetooth profile in bluetoothctl, you may need to install package pulseaudio-module-bluetooth through apt on rock 5 to resolve.

Result:
L2ping from both device:

File transfers (Cannot capture screen, I use phone camera instead):
Sending (from my laptop):

Receiving (from rock 5):
Stored in Downloads (configured in blueman):

Done that!

4 Likes

For Chinese version of this sharing, plz refer to Rock 5B 开发板 Intel AX200 蓝牙打通记录(Armbian) - 哔哩哔哩 (bilibili.com), both version is written by me.

2 Likes