Great new OS for RockPi4C, TwisterOS Armbian

This is posible, i use 600MHz / 2Ghz on the Server and if jtremblant image is set to a higher value in idle than this could be the reason.
I hadn’t thought of this possibility. Sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees. :laughing:

That’s normal. They’ve cut down all the trees :slight_smile: It’s a shopping center and parking now.

1 Like

Hi all.
I made an instruction video on how to install and set up Armbian Forged on your RockPi4.

All have a jolly good time with it.
3 Likes

Update 11-23-20: A huge update and a major rework to Armbian-Reforged OS is in the works. Expect new great features and visual improvements as well on upcoming Armbian-Reforged version. General Performance as a Linux Desktop OS is getting improved too. Stay tuned.

1 Like

great desktop OS. one problem. getting time out error messages trying to connect an openVPN to IPVanish. using the same config file as that works with Ubuntu.

I’ve successfully tested it with PrivateVPN only. I don’t have an IPVanish account so I can’t assist you with that. I checked IPvanish Linux config guides for most distros and they are quite bizarre. Since each VPN provider have their own particular settings, you should definitely contact IPVanish tech chat support, In my experience if the support person is experienced enough, he should be capable to easily help you setup your IPVanish to work with Armbian-Reforged or any Linux Distro. Ex. PrivateVPN service config guide is so straightforward and easy to use that anybody can configure it to work via TUN on Armbian or Ubuntu. And if it fails, they have also a manual script to configure settings automatically for you between Openvpn and their VPN services.

Custom PPSSPP demo with PANFROST MESA driver:

2 Likes

TwisterOS Armbian beta is here. Some performance optimizations are still in the works. If you want to try it:

https://twisteros.com/twisterarmbian.html

Several changes to original Armbian-Reforged V1.0

• Official name has been changed to TwisterOS Armbian
  • XFCE4 is now the default DE
  • Mainline kernel 5.9.11
  • ThemeTwister application as shown on pic with 8 built-in OS themes
  • Panfrost HW on desktop
  • Firefox fully supporting HW acceleration, same for MPV and Kodi
  • File size has been reduced now to 2.9Gb only

default password: asdasd
Remember to resize partition after first boot with included Gnome Disks

Instructions:

• Flash image with Etcher to uSD or eMMC
  • edit armbianEnv.txt and select correspondent dtb file from dtb folder to match your RK3399 board. Default dtb used on image is RockPi4B.

Known issues:

• Some stability issues may be present.
  • BT audio connectivity issue hasn’t been fixed yet.

Update(12-06-20): To fix stability issues with Firefox browser, just do:

• Sudo apt update
  • Sudo apt upgrade
2 Likes

How to start from nvme? I have tried it but it does not start. First record with dd, then try to boot from nvme but it won’t start. I also tried to create a multiboot image with the Rua1 script, but I get the following error:
Files are copied, wait …
[Error] Unknown OS without extlinux.conf file

This is what I did to boot from NVMe on my RockPI4C:

1. Update SPI u-boot image to latest one
  2. Use Acer NVMe drive known to boot on RockPi4 B/C
    https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/rock-pi-4-accessories/products/acer-m-2-nvme-ssd-for-rock-pi-4
  3. Place NVMe inside USB C 3.1 GEN2 TO M.2 NVME CASE
    https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/rock-pi-4-accessories/products/usb-type-c3-1-gen2-to-m-2-nvme-housing-10gb-s
  4. Flash image with Etcher
  5. Connect Acer NVMe to RockPi4 M.2 Extension board v1.6
  6. Remove eMMC module and Voila!

Before these steps above, I made sure it was booting from Official Debian 9 on RockPI4C via NVMe.

Thanks for answering. Did you upgrade spi from Debian9 through apt update / apt upgrade? Or did you need any additional operations?

Yes
sudo apt-get install -y rockpi4c-rk-u-boot-latest

Hi. I can’t boot from nvme. These are the steps I followed:
update uboot to the latest version from microsd with debian9. then i checked that debian9 was booting from nvme. then save the twisterOS image and try to boot from nvme. does not start.

It doesn’t work with TwisterOS Armbian beta 2 yet. Only with Armbian-Reforged V1.0.

OK. I will try with Reforged and then tell you what happens. Sorry my english.

Edit: reforged also doesn’t boot from my nvme.
debian 9 boots without problems

How are you trying to boot over nvme?

Hello, thanks for answering. I tried all of the following:
*dd Armbian Reforged image with dd in microsd: it works
*dd ArmbianReforged image to nvme: it didn’t work
*multiboot script TwisterOS to nvme: did not work (extlinux file missing)
*multiboot script TwisterOS to nvme with function -t --extlinux-conf-file: also not working, but I’m not sure if I used the script well, because I was playing randomly with the position of the commands without getting anything at all.
I tried all these combinations but none worked:

sudo make_multiboot_dev.sh -d /dev/nvme0n1 --root-size 25000 -i TwisterOSArmbianV1-0-beta2.img -t – extlinux.conf
sudo make_multiboot_dev.sh -d /dev/nvme0n1 --root-size 25000 -t --extlinux.conf -i TwisterOSArmbianV1-0-beta2.img
sudo make_multiboot_dev.sh -d /dev/nvme0n1 --root-size 25000 -t --extlinux-conf-file -i TwisterOSArmbianV1-0-beta2.img
sudo make_multiboot_dev.sh -d /dev/nvme0n1 --root-size 25000 --extlinux-conf-file -i TwisterOSArmbianV1-0-beta2.img
sudo make_multiboot_dev.sh -d /dev/nvme0n1 --root-size 25000 -i TwisterOSArmbianV1-0-beta2.img
sudo make_multiboot_dev.sh -d /dev/nvme0n1 --root-size 25000 -i TwisterOSArmbianV1-0-beta2.img --extlinux-conf-file
sudo make_multiboot_dev.sh -t --extlinux-conf-file -d /dev/nvme0n1 --root-size 25000 -i TwisterOSArmbianV1-0-beta2.img

Do you think it could work with this link](About multiboot), using the “extlinux-conf-file” option?I have been trying without success.But I am not sure if I am using the extlinux-conf-file option correctly, rather I have tried randomly because I could not find an explanation of how to use that option anywhere.

Monka-Manjaro-XFCE beta1 is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I0yHIDfezqnz1jdphJ4gooWbGtNw0ArW/view?usp=sharing

• Manjaro ARM 20.12 based
  • Chromium Docker with Netflix, Amazon Prime and other streaming services
  • 5.9.11-2 kernel
  • Tested it and working on RockPi4B, RockPi4C and RockPro64 only.
  • Boots from uSD and eMMC
  • Kodi and MPV on desktop with HW Panfrost OpenGL 2.1 Mesa 20.2.3
  • HW acceleration on desktop and firefox browser
  • Several utilities included like Etcher, Emulastation, Wine Desktop.PPSSPP, anbox, amiberry, gparted, whatspp, openGL games, etc etc
  • ThemeTwister utility

Username: pi
Password: root

Instructions:

• Extract downloaded file to get image file.
  • Flash image file with etcher or usbimager.
  • Under boot partition, locate extlinux folder and edit “extlinux.conf” file to assign respective dtb file to your RK3399 board. Default dtb file is: RockPi4B
  • Resize partition after first boot with included Disks utility.
  • 32Gb microSD or 32Gb eMMC module required for uncompressed image
2 Likes

For those who wants to try some retro games like Half life and Nuke Dukem 3D that work without X11 and without emulator, They work on RK3326 and RK3399 hardware. Tested it on RockPi4C with Armbian Reforged V1.0. Many thanks @ Kreal from the TwisterOS Team:

Duke Nukem 3D:

https://github.com/zear/eduke32/blob/master/polymer/eduke32/duke3d.grp

Half Life 1:

1 Like