Fan on a Rock 5A

Hi,

So have I have tired to get the Radxa fan to start, nothing is working. The only guide I have found is the Radxa Rock 5 B.

How can I get the fan to work?

TerrorPUP

This works without a problem on 5A (on Joshua Riek’s Ubuntu and on Armbian).

I can confim that this doesn’t work on the Radxa image (build 17). How can i edit the fancurve because armbian-add-overlay is not present in this image…

Why are you not using Armbian in first place?

i don’t know, i just the radxa version in the hopes it would be the fastest…

I’m now flashing armbian

Please can you advise how to enable the pam-fan on Joshua Riek’s Ubuntu. I have tried adding pam-fan as an overlay in the ubuntuEnv.txt file and lsmod shows the pwm-fan module as loaded but not used by anything. There is also no pam-fan device in the /dev directory. I’m obviously missing something so any guidance would be gratefully received.

You don’t need any overlays, it works without configuration (admittedly the fan curve is not very good, but it just works). At least for me. It’s pwm, not pam

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I hadn’t noticed that the iPad spelling autocorrect had changed pwm to pam for some reason. Does the pwm-fan device show up under /dev or not when it’s working?

I’m not sure, but the easiest way to check if it works is to run stress-ng -c 8 and leave it for a minute. Right now it spins up around 60 °C.

It’s still not working for me, I’m getting these errors in the system log:-
pwm-fan pwm-fan: Looking up fan-supply from device tree
pwm-fan pwm-fan: Looking up fan-supply property in node /pwm-fan failed

I think it would be better to raise an issue with Joshua Riek: https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip

OK Thanks for your help :slight_smile: