Exportimage in RKDevTool - CM3S

PRODUCT IN REVIEW : CM3S
PRODUCT TO REPLACE : RASPBERRY PI CM3 (OLD VERISON)

I want to make it into an image with the contents that have been set and use it for the next download. There is an exportimage button in RKDevTool, so I tried pressing it, but only an image of 0 bytes is created on the PC. I also searched the manual, but there is no information about Exportimage. Please help.

@radxa
@RadxaYuntian

설정이 완료된 내용으로 그대로 이미지로 만들어서 다음 다운로드에 활용하고 싶습니다. RKDevTool에 exportimage 버튼이 있어 눌러 봤는데, PC에 0바이트의 이미지만 생성됩니다. 매뉴얼도 찾아보니, Exportimage에 대한 내용은 없는데, 가능한 방법에 대해 확인 바랍니다.

@Alvin can you check the Windows usage? I’ll also test from Linux side.

@Alvin
@RadxaYuntian

can you please help me?

Here is an example to dump image under Linux.

A few explanation:

1. Tested with CM3S on Radxa CM3S IO Board.
  2. The current system image will boot into Loader mode when the device is powered on with micro USB cable connected to a computer.
  3. ReadLBA command uses sector (512 bytes) as unit instead of byte. This is why the final image has a size of 512 bytes per sector * SectorLen 1024 = 512 KiB.
1 Like

@radxa

I find that it only reads in the unit of 512k Byte.
We found out that image can only be made in the unit of 0x200 only when we execute exportImage in RKDevTool. It looks like it reads only in the unit of 512k Byte.

Questions…

1. Is it possible to read the whole Image by using RkDevTool?
  2. Is it possible to read the whole Linux image in the Linux environment

512kbyte 단위로만 읽히는 것으로 확인 됩니다.

RKDevTool 툴에서도 exportImage를 하면 0x200크기 단위로만 이미지가 만들어 지는 것으로 확인 됩니다.
아래 내용은 아직 환경 구성이 안되어 있고, 512kbyte 단위로만 읽히는 내용으로 보여져 아직 확인 하지 않은 상태 입니다.

RkDevTool을 사용해서 이미지 전체를 읽어 올 수 있도록 하는 것이 가능한지, 그리고 리눅스 환경으로 구성하게 되면 리눅스 이미지를 전체를 한번에 읽어 올 수 있는 건지 궁금 합니다.

Below example is performed under Linux host. I have checked the code and there is no size restriction on Linux. Have you even tried my solution?

yes, we used your solution and we used window version program, only it can read in the unit of 512k bytes.

We found out that image can only be made in the unit of 0x200 only when we execute exportImage in RKDevTool. It looks like it reads only in the unit of 512k Byte.

Questions…

1. Is it possible to read the whole Image by using RkDevTool?
  2. Is it possible to read the whole Linux image in the Linux environment

This appears to be a limitation of Rockchip firmware. I have raised an issue to them to investigate this.

hello yuntian, you said

“This appears to be a limitation of Rockchip firmware. I have raised an issue to them to investigate this.”

can you help advise on this one?

They did not offer more help other than confirm the issue is expected behavior. We will need to look for alternative methods.
@Peter.Wang

Hi, for linux, we can dump the system by a script which need run on the system, it’s the same as the rock pi e, refer to https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiE/FAQs “How to backup the debian image”