Enable gpio serial port NOT hosting linux console

Hi there, new to this board and Radxa.

I’m trying to use the serial port on the 40 pin GPIO header at pins 8 and 10, but I do NOT want the linux console there. I just want to be able to open the serial port and use it normally.

I’ve tried modify the kernel boot parameters, but I’m flying a little blind here.

# Execute "update_extlinux.sh" after changing file /boot/config.txt.

#cmdline: earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xfeb50000 console=ttyFIQ0 console=tty1 consoleblank=0 loglevel=0
cmdline: earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xfeb50000 loglevel=0

dtoverlay=rk3588-uart7-m2

Do I comment out the dtoverlay? Use a different one? Can I find a mapping of what uart7 and m2 mean? The dtoverlay page doesn’t even list the rk3588 overlays.

I should mention that I am trying to bring up a gpio “hat” that I had previously developed for the pi devices. This had communicates over serial at 1Mb/s. I have noticed that I can see garbled communications from my device on /dev/ttsyFIQ0. It looks like it is running at the wrong speed. I have tried using stty and other methods to set the speed to 1000000, but it fails. It looks like the speed of this port is somehow locked at 115200?

Thanks!

Replying to my own post, maybe it will be useful to someone else.

The following seems to have made the gpio pins 8,10 port appear as /dev/ttyS2 and it works normally:

dtoverlay=rk3588-uart2-m0
1 Like

Just for information, i disabled uart2 linux default console like u explained. It worked well.
But if u wanted to use another uart as console u need to downgrade the speed in cmdline.

For console

cmdline: earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xfeb50000 console=ttyS3,115200 console=tty1 consoleblank=0 loglevel=0

For rootfs

cmdline: panic=10 rootwait rw init=/sbin/init rootfstype=ext4

Docker optimizations

cmdline: cgroup_enable=cpuset cgroup_memory=1 cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1

For RK3588

cmdline: irqchip.gicv3_pseudo_nmi=0

cmdline: switolb=1
cmdline: coherent_pool=2M

dt overlay line: started with “dtoverlay=”. One dt overlay one line.

dtoverlay=rk3588-uart2-m0
dtoverlay=rk3588-uart3-m1
dtoverlay=rk3588-spi0-m2-cs0-spidev