eMMC is no longer showing 64GB

I’ve tried to radxa-zero-erase-emmc.bin file to erase eMMC then rz-udisk-loader.bin to load it for formatting
[using windows 11 + radxa zero 4gb ram and 6gb eMMC]

But the size is showing me 128MB instead of 64GB - I cant seem to see any other partition or unlocated partition under disk management.
I would appreciate if anyone has an idea what i might be doing wrong ? or if there is a way to wipe eMMC another way to resolve this issue?

Thank you

radxa-zero-erase-emmc.bin will expose eMMC as a storage device by itself. Try using this one only.

@RadxaYuntian
I did try using radxa-zero-erase-emmc.bin i get this output from RZ USB Boot Helper (windows 11)

----------  start run  ----------
Firmware Version:
ROM: 3.2 Stage: 0.0
Need Password: 0 Password OK: 1
Writing U:/_Radxa/bin/radxa-zero-erase-emmc.bin at 0xfffa0000...
[DONE]
Running at 0xfffa0000...
[DONE]
AMLC dataSize=16384, offset=65536, seq=0...
[DONE]
AMLC dataSize=49152, offset=393216, seq=1...
[DONE]
AMLC dataSize=16384, offset=229376, seq=2...
[DONE]
AMLC dataSize=49152, offset=245760, seq=3...
[DONE]
AMLC dataSize=49152, offset=294912, seq=4...
[DONE]
AMLC dataSize=16384, offset=65536, seq=5...
[DONE]
AMLC dataSize=1324400, offset=81920, seq=6...
[DONE]
[BL2 END]
----------  run done!  ----------

But still have the size 128MB

I did install the driver again to see if anything will change

But no change

Same result it doesnt show 64gb

Do you have a serial cable to capture some logs for me?

1 Like

Yes I do have serial cable that i can use.

Then can you capture the log when you load radxa-zero-erase-emmc.bin?

For sure, Let me take a look. I’ve never done it before, but i will follow the guideline in wiki.

Hi, @RadxaYuntian

I tried to connect via serial port, but i got some problems. Im wondering if there is a solution for it.

Im using : Windows 11

1) I did connect my USB to TTL cable as described in wiki

Cable Im using

2) I did install Putty.

3) Entered necessary information

4) Checked Device Manager to see if all looks good, and there was a problem.

5) I downloaded the driver and installed from Prolific website

PL23XX_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v402.zip

1. It did fix the problem with Device Manager, and it showed up;

2. but i can not connect via Putty and its giving me error

As a note; I noticed Prolific website had information about different part numbers and the number it showed up in my device manager has EOL on the website. Im not sure if this information helps but i wanted to share.

I appreciate the help, this is the first time im using USB to TTL and im not sure what else i can do to troubleshoot this issue.

Thank you

Well then you probably should trust your device when it was telling you the cable won’t work in Windows 11…Just because you force installed a driver (which will actually change the device name shown in Device Manager) doesn’t mean the issue goes away. FTDI cable is recommended.

Edit: here seems to be a workaround for it. I still recommend a new cable though.

can you give me a tip on what kind of cable ? i have no idea what to look for.

I’ll pick something like https://www.amazon.com/s?k=FT232RL

ok, im getting this one then. Looks like its a match for FT232RL ?

DSD TECH USB to TTL Serial Adapter with FTDI FT232RL Chip Compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7 and Mac OS X

and i believe i can just use normal jumper cables with this ? or anything specific i need to know ?

Thank you

Looks like the jumper cable is included in the box. Don’t forget to switch the voltage switch jumper to 3.3v though.

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know !!

My I suggest diskpart ? You get to this utility by pressing the windows key on the keyboard and typing diskpart

After maybe a prompt you get what looks like a DOS screen already running the diskpart utility
type list disk
you will see a list of all drives on the PC and their capacity
you need to identify all the storage devices: PC drive, USB key, SD card or eMMC in a cradle

Each storage device will have a number associated with it. 0 will be the PC hard drive and your flash device should be 1, 2, etc. Make sure you know which digit to use in the next command
type select disk 1
type clean

Read the display for any errors in the operation. Type exit.
Eject and reinsert the flash. You may have to format. Make sure the device is back to normal.

What happens when you make linux live usb devices and os installers is that you record large image and iso files onto the flash memory. Your program may be mkusb, rufus, yumi, imagewriter, win32diskimager, ubuntu USB writer or whatever. It may use the flash in ways your PC cannot read, or it may set fuses to change the device behaviour.

Diskpart is a utility that has been part of Msoft since forever. But be careful! It has no guardrails and you risk deleting your entire windows drive and bricking your machine.

I think diskpart and Disk Management uses the same API underneath. They should give the same result (except for some minor things like Microsoft Reserved Partition is hidden in DM but not in diskpart).

Hello again,
I got the USB > TTL device and connect it to my workstation. [3.3v]
Looks like Putty wasnt letting write in terminal, so i changed the settings to Force ON, and it does work probably.
But, when i run “radxa zero erase emmc.bin” Putty terminal doesnt show anything.
I did save the putty.log on my desktop but its just empty.
Is there another step / setup that i need to do to see the log ?

Thank you

i couldn’t take this path, because I’m working on my workstation, and I have some drives connected that puts it in to risk with my very little knowledge.
Thank you for explaining and for your suggestion.