E25 reboots when writing to disk

Hi,

I have a Radxa E25 here with a disk in the pcie interface and also tried the USB 3.0 interface.
Every time you start writing to disk, the Radxa E25 reboots after a few seconds. This doesn’t happen when you write to the eMMC. I tried the Radxa provided images and also Armbian, same behavior.
Since it reboots instantly, I haven’t been able to catch any logs. Is this a known problem?

Thanks!

I noticed that this happens faster depending on the power supply used.
With a 5V/4A Oneplus charger, I can download sometimes an Ubuntu ISO, but any additional load still causes reboots. With a 5V/3A charger, it never finishes.

What is the recommended power supply and how much can the E25 deliver to USB ports and PCIe?

Oneplus charger must be pd controlled.
Please use dump 5v/4A or 5A adaptor and hopefully it should not cause reboot.

There is always some issue with pd controlled charger on new sbcs.

I had a crashing issue issue when I didn’t use the 30w PD brick from Radxa. I don’t know the current specs, but it solved my crashing…

I used now the Oneplus charger which is a dumb 5V charger with max output of 4a (~20W).
Since then, the Radxa E25 runs fairly stable! Just a mainline kernel (not 5.10) and mainline U-Boot would make this device awesome :slight_smile:

Armbian. https://imola.armbian.com/dl/radxa-e25/archive/

I already run Armbian, newer kernels do not support properly SATA drives via PCIe.
Moreover, 6.1 is also old, although should be LTS. At least 6.1 would bring proper support for some WiFi cards over USB.

Armbian speciality is that it has a very good support for USB wireless. Better then main upstream distros and even router like distribution. Armbian is adding (on top of standard) many drivers that are not a part of upstream Linux (some never will be) to all Linux kernel versions, not just to “old” 6.1.y. But I am sure some drivers, that might be expected, are missing. But at least this is easy to enable, if drivers are already present in the kernel code.

Lack of features is expected. This was quickly hacked together (for hackers this is fun, for developers this is job), so that HW comes into the system, now it is being waited for developer that will be (sponsoring) addressing missing features and bugs. I know its difficult as sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes months, sometimes never happens.

@igorp

Lack of features is expected. This was quickly hacked together (for hackers this is fun, for developers this is job), so that HW comes into the system, now it is being waited for developer that will be (sponsoring) addressing missing features and bugs. I know its difficult as sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes months, sometimes never happens.

Yes I understand :slight_smile: I’m myself a distro developer for mobile devices with a focus on mainline (postmarketOS developer), so I know the drill. I just need PCIe for SATA devices, I cannot avoid it. I tried to enable the feature in 6.1 Armbian already but without success. Hopefully the E25 will see better mainline support in terms of kernel and u-boot.

1 Like

Yes, they don’t… Not exactly ‘they do not support’, but as I understood, working with SATA devices has been changed significantly. I spent a lot of time trying to make sata working on linux builds based on more recent kernels then official ubuntu image for E25 with 4.19 :rage: But finally I have found a workaround for this
You have to modify the dts file - replace drivers with just generic-ahci in corresponding SATA controller section. The box itself supports SATA 1 only in any case, as I understood, so it does not matter. But at least SATA is working with this for me now, on armbian with 6.1.30 and openwrt with 6.1.27 kernels

Yes, in 6.1 the driver responsible for AHCI in the DTS was moved to a separate kernel config: CONFIG_AHCI_DWC. I tried to enable it, but it still didn’t came up. Thanks for letting me know about the DTS change!

1 Like