Debian12 with kernel 6.5 rc1

Hello! i found Debian12 with kernel 6.5,rc1 here. maybe it helps someone give it a try. My Rock5b is dead.

____            _      ____  ____  
 |  _ \ ___   ___| | __ | ___|| __ ) 
 | |_) / _ \ / __| |/ / |___ \|  _ \ 
 |  _ < (_) | (__|   <   ___) | |_) |
 |_| \_\___/ \___|_|\_\ |____/|____/ 

Welcome to Armbian 23.08.0-trunk Bookworm with Linux 6.5.0-rc1-rockchip-rk3588

No end-user support: built from trunk

System load:   1%           	Up time:       3:27	
 Memory usage:  3% of 15.35G 	IP:	       172.17.0.1 10.0.40.24
 CPU temp:      53°C           	Usage of /:    23% of 29G    	
 RX today:      1.0 GiB  	

[ Kernel and firmware upgrades disabled: armbian-config ]
 Last check: 2023-08-06 11:34

[ General system configuration (beta): armbian-config ]

Scroll down to the bottom, “Rolling releases from CI pipeline

1 Like

Hello!
Thanks for the link. Down the page the fonts are very light grey which makes them impossible to read. I am old my man over 63 years old… You see why i hadn’t discovered it. Thank you
My best regards

3 Likes

Is this just an image using collabora’s branch kernel? If yes, most likely there is no display output support yet.

The readme on the Github page claims to be from the kernel.org source. If there’s no display output collabora then this is probably just as bad.

I’m younger and you are not alone with the visibility issue.

2 Likes

If I write one of these images to eMMC it should just boot using DHCP, correct?

I just tried on my 5b and no go. Im using a PoE hat which works fine. Assuming the display is still not enabled in the kernel since I got no output either.

I don’t know. It works for me.

Tune into Armbian community, try to help and they will help you.

This is good to know it works. I will reflash it and try again.

Does hdmi work with the rc1 kernel?

I got it to work with the Collabora image. No HDMI video but it isn’t needed.

I gave this a try. Looks ok but definitely am getting EMMC errors under higher io loads (such as a kernel compile) that don’t happen on the 5.whatever kernel. Googling the errors suggest there are bugs in the EMMC driver based on reports of the error from other boards. That said I will probably stick with this to test bleeding edge kernels, so thank you for putting this image together!

Yeah I got eMMC errors as well and decided to swap all of them out for Samsung’s PRO high endurance SD cards. No problems since.

I’m actually using a legit EMMC module from Ameridroid and not an SD card so I’ll probably try to reseat it but I’m fairly confident it is not bad.

In my case, it wasn’t the eMMC cards but the eMMC socket on the rock5 that is bad. The cards worked fine on other hardware.

3 of the 5 boards either were defective or somehow got damaged due to inserting the modules I got from allnetchina. I did inspect the board with a microscope and didn’t notice anything odd.

Due to the frail nature of that socket I decided to look for a performant SD card that had high endurance. Fortunately Samsung makes them! And they are rated higher than many SSDs.

So I did a test and installed the standard radxa kernel on this image without removing the EMMC module at all. The radxa kernel doesn’t throw EMMC errors no matter the load. So it does seem to be kernel related, at least in my case.