CoreELEC support for Radxa Zero

Hello,

A CoreELEC user has pointed out that you have released an Amlogic based device, and asked whether we could add support for it to our OS.

CoreELEC is a just enough OS for Kodi Linux distribution. It is the only fully functional Kodi media center based Linux distribution around for a wide variety of Amlogic hardware.

Our website: https://coreelec.org/
And the link to the forum post that brought this device to our attention: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/radxa-zero-support/16108

Would you be interested in working together to get the new Radxa Zero supported by CoreELEC?
We are sure that with the relatively low price and very small size of this device, it can be quite popular as a tiny, fully featured media center.

7 Likes

Somehow I missed this post :open_mouth:

We’d love to have CoreELEC to run on the Zero. Let’s work together to make it :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that you’re in :slight_smile: I’ll PM you with some more details.

And a few days later, we have CoreELEC running on a 1GB and 2GB Radxa Zero.

3 Likes

Nice work. That’s really quick :smiley:

3 Likes

@TheCoolest, I don’t suppose you’ve had any real world experience with reasonably high bitrate HDR (better HDR10+) UHD content on it, have you? Like, maybe the good old HDR downloads with Atmos, etc, from Dolby?

When I say high bitrate, I’m thinking upwards of 20k.

Obviously I hope it goes without saying that I’m not asking with any kind of entitlement or expectation of a response or reply. But just thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask! :slight_smile:

Do you mean 20Mbps or higher? I personally haven’t tested it yet, as I’m still waiting for my mini micro HDMI cable and a USB-C hub, but I will test it when I get it.
But considering that the S905Y2 SoC is very much comparable with a S905X2, I don’t expect it to have any issues. The only potential limiting factor that I can foresee is the WiFi speeds.

1 Like

Hey its micro HDMI hopefully you meant when ordering

Yes, I meant a micro HDMI to HDMI cable.

1 Like

I probably did, aye, bits, bytes, per seconds, and their acronyms and capitalisations are the bane of my life ( and, no, I’m fine for a lesson right now :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) when talking about this stuff. I just know that mediainfo reports to Kbps, and it’s in the thousands, so I just went with it.

Yeah, I was just mentioning in the release thread that if the memory is fine, and (as you say) the Wi-Fi can handle it (I suspect a local AP would help), then looking at other devices it could be a great bet for a solid media build.

Could probably even find some folks that have already made pretty compatible 3D-Printed cases for rPiZ’s out there that could be adapted for the cause!

Would love to put one on my parent’s TV, that’s for sure.

1 Like

Welcome back, me!

I just finally got around to this … and I did a not too stressful test of an easy bitrate 14.8 Mb/s IMAX film in HDR10 with Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos … and the 1GB ram version breezed through it in UHD.

HOORAY!

I’ll edit in further tests if I remember.

@TheCoolest can it run Moonlight? I’m very excited to try something not android based to run Moonlight, because on android the wifi drops the speed after a while (6 to 50 minutes based on bitrate settings) for 2-3 secs, and it is not good for streaming games.(bearable but not good)

You can try to search on the CE forum for moonlight.
I think there’s a way to make it work, at least in partial capacity.
You can start here:

Thank you and sorry for bothering with the question, I was typing first, then googling :smiley:.
I will give it go and I hope the wifi problem is not affecting coreelec.

Luna is working, but can’t seem to pair my host to it. My host is working (cause a Windows PC can reach it with no problem), the network is okay, my Radxa Zero device has internet and network too, because it is reachable over samba and http, but it cannot pair with the host somehow :frowning:. I’m very dissappointed, but asked about it on that forum too. On the bright side: video encoding is working fine as far as I can tell from 720p youtube videos, so that wouldn’t be a problem if I can connect to my pc :smiley:

Sorry, I’m not the best person to ask about Luna.
It’s probably best to continue this topic on the CE forum.