Connecting Ubuntu to WiFi w/o Ethernet

I’m a new user to both RockPi4 and Ubuntu. I have the minimal installation of Ubuntu running and I’d like to install the more complete version. In order to do that, I need to use apt install. Since I have no network connection, I can’t use apt. I have no free Ethernet ports so I need to set up WiFi from an Ubuntu prompt. Can anyone walk me through that step-by-step keeping in mind I have little experience with Ubuntu?

Sorry, but i must do this

Like come on. That’s first links from google

@Dante great as non of your examples help or actually work.

Ubuntu bionic is Netplan for networking.

https://netplan.io/examples

Edit or create a yaml file in etc/netplan

I tried following those instructions but these variations didn’t work (variables changed from my actual system)

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid “TomsNetworkName” key “Tom’sNetworkPassword”

SET failed error incorrect parameter

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid “TomsNetworkName” key s:“Tom’sNetworkPassword”

SET failed incorrect parameter

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid TomsNetworkName key Tom’sNetworkPassword

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid TomsNetworkName key s:Tom’sNetworkPassword

All I have is a password, not a hex value. I tried converting the password to 64 and 128 bit hex values and put those in but they didn’t work either.

Did you look at the netplan instructions?

Also do the usual updates for the radxa packages.

apt-get update
apt-get -y upgrade
apt -y dist-upgrade
apt-get install -y rockchip-fstab
apt-get install -y rockpi4-dtbo
apt-get install -y rockchip-overlay
apt-get install -y linux-base
apt-get install -y linux-4.4-latest
apt-get install -y rockpi4b-rk-u-boot-latest
apt-get install -y bluez ap6256-firmware
apt-get install -y brcm-patchram-plus1-64

sudo iwconfig
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

Then create/edit your yaml in /etc/netplan

1 Like

How can I do an apt update when I can’t connect to the network? I have no way to use the Ethernet connection so I need WiFi don’t I? Or am I missing something? I’m a total beginner at using Linux so that is a distinct possibility.

1 Like

If you can not sort it from the info given there is prob no more that can be said or done.
Grab an ethernet cable and hook up as that is automatic.
Read about how to create a netplan yaml.
In bionic networking moved to netplan so the previous 16.04 ifconfig guides are likely not to work.

Its Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic & netplan you should be looking for.

Well…they helped me and worked for me in the past (2-3 months ago).
Also… Are you for real?

The thing is. Until you got internet you need or to disable password on your wifi or to use less security protocol on it. At least that how i got it working. Then you install what you need to use WPA2, and then you change security back

Is wpasupplicant part of the minimal installation or do I need to apt install it? If the latter then I’ve already told you why that won’t work. I have absolutely no way to connect via Ethernet. It’s not a question of buying a cable. I simply have nowhere to plug in an RJ-11 connector.

Thank you! Now THAT is a more helpful response than just telling me to Google it. I’ll try that.

I mean… I don’t advise you to use port? And wpa thingy is not part of minimal as far as i know

As for google… What i typed i read on google and made a few logical assumptions.

@Toml_12953 Not having much luck as iwconfig gives me similar errors.

Also the image isn’t ubuntu-minimal as for some reasons the package ubuntu-minimal is not included.
Netplan would be installed if it was ubuntu-minimal and only is if you install it.
Still doesn’t solve your problem though.

I don’t use the wifi and having huge problems with it.
Using netplan it works then it doesn’t ifup / ifdown tried all sorts and I can get it working.
What I can not do is to get it to work consistently?! As been trying for some hours now.
wpa_supplicant is installed and so is network_manager
you can try the nmcli tools also but likely find it the same

given up as spent to much time…

I will bang a 64bit Stretch server image on here.
user:password
rock:rock

sudo nmcli device wifi list

sudo nmtui

works instantly and is persistent?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmAh35i26QiRyL-tYXDBhcQL5Z

Success! I’d like to thank you and Dante4 for taking time on this problem. It turns out that when I left the channel on AUTO in Ubuntu, the Rock Pi couldn’t find my WiFi. I changed the channel to the actual channels my WiFi uses (Channel 1 for 2 GHz and 149 for 5 GHz) and now I can connect with no problem. I’ve connected many computers to many WiFi systems and have never run into this before. In fact, I’m typing this message from my Rock Pi. Thank you both again!

1 Like

Good to know, maybe why I was so hit and miss.
Dunno why the above debian just works and no channel was supplied.

But glad you got there tom :slight_smile:

You should be able to install ubuntu_minimal now and switch to netplan lols.