Complete idiot trying to SSD

Hello!

My apologies for being an complete idiot here, i spent couple of days googling back and forth with little to none information found, so either i have no clue what i am looking for, or the information is just hiding in plain sight, if so, please link me to this holy grail!

I do have two (2) rockpi 4 boards. The one I hope to make this rock is Rockpi 4 Plus V1.73 and the other one is Rockpi 4 SE (with two empty emmc sockets below) I do have sandisk ultra 64gb and Kingston 1TB NV2 (SNV2S/1000G) as my available resources

I tried to find out a way to make debian or ubuntu (hoping to make this somekind of openhab experiment, if it matters) usually I end up with semi ancient instructions which are not working anymore or meant for boards older than one(s) i have, or then even older abandoned armbian, nothing against armbian, but quite a lot against of abandoned os.

I can erase both cards and install whatever would do the magic. Am I just trying to achieve something which can not be achieved?

Almost all vendors provide OS on principle, assemble and forget.

Armbian is probably the only OS that is not abandoned and is hard to be worse as stock. Perhaps you are not looking correct. If Armbian says its not supported, it means its going into direction of generic community amateur Linux support. Same as others. Images are still assembled, but investments into software support are severely reduced as there is no interest from your side to make it better.