Can I use a Rock Pi S as a Volumio / Spotify Connect client with audio output?

Here: https://rockpi.eu/rockpi-s/ it says that the Rock Pi S is the ideal DIY-Speaker so I wanted to know if it is possible to use the Rock Pi S basically as a Echo Dot / Chromecast Audio replacement to play music via Spotify without any Smart / Voice Assistant features. I know that there are other ways than Volumio to get Spotify Connect running on Linux but I am not sure if this is the right hardware.

It’s hard to verify without testing it myself… I don’t own a Rock Pi S, just a few 4B v1.4’s…

But from what I know, I think volumio can be built for Armbian. There’s no support from Volumio for Rock Pi S directly, at least for now there’s not.

https://github.com/volumio/Build (scroll down for Armbian)

Thank you for that information. I guess I’ll wait for a bit and see what happens and if someone ports volumio to the Rock Pi S.

FWIW, I ported Volumio for the Rock Pi S a few weeks ago, but have only managed to get audio out via the LINEOUT_Rand LINEOUT_L outputs. Kinda at a dead end enabling i2s output to a DAC.

Debian GNU/Linux 10 volumio ttyS0

Linux volumio 5.5.0-rockchip64 #19.11.7 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 4 19:09:31 CET 2020 aarch64
                       ___
                      /\_ \                        __
         __  __    ___\//\ \    __  __    ___ ___ /\_\    ___
        /\ \/\ \  / __`\\ \ \  /\ \/\ \ /' __` __`\/\ \  / __`\
        \ \ \_/ |/\ \L\ \\_\ \_\ \ \_\ \/\ \/\ \/\ \ \ \/\ \L\ \
         \ \___/ \ \____//\____\\ \____/\ \_\ \_\ \_\ \_\ \____/
          \/__/   \/___/ \/____/ \/___/  \/_/\/_/\/_/\/_/\/___/

Free Audiophile Linux Music Player - Version 2.0

C 2015 Michelangelo Guarise - Volumio Team - Volumio.org

Volumio Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.

Still got to clean up a few things though, so if someone is interested, will do it and upload an image…

1 Like

It’s possible to use Spotify via Chromecast or other devices. AudFree Spotify Music Downloader from AudFree website is effective to download Spotify music as MP3 files. So you can listen to Spotify songs on your devices.

You can do it with the AudFree Spotify Music Downlaoder from the AudFree website. It offers you MP3 audio files. You can import the songs to your Rock Pi S.

If Spotify offers its service to Rock Pi S, you can listen to music from Rock Pi S via Spotify Connect. You can try to play Spotify music on your phone and then turn on Spotify Connect. Next, search for the device. In addition, you can download Spotify playlist to MP3 through Spotify playlist converter and then play Spotify music without any limitation.

I don’t have a Rock Pi S, so I can’t test it for you. But if you have one, you can do it yourself. Besides, I have searched it on Google, there are no positive results.
If you really need to do it, you can try to use Spotify Playlist Converter to download Spotify songs as common files. And then play Spotify music via your Rock Pi S. This is an alternative way for you.
If there is an official way, you can do that as well.

No matter you want to play Spotify music on Rock Pi S or on Chromecast, Tunelf Spotify Music Converter could help you reach it. Using a Spotify Music Converter like Tunelf, you are able to download Spotify music and convert Spotify music to several popular audio formats. Then you can play Spotify music on any device without limitation.

I’m very interested in this and I’d be grateful to upload a picture. I’m sorry to open an old topic, but I bought a Rock pi S just for the purpose of an audio streamer via Volumio and I can’t start it. The only thing I started so far was Armbian, but I have no experience with modifying Linux.

1 Like

Sure have a look at

To play Spotify music on Rock Pi S, you need to use TuneSolo Spotify Music Converter to download Spotify songs in MP3 format first, and then transfer them to Rock Pi S via USB.

Yes, you can. However, before you do that, you’re supposed to convert Spotify songs to MP3 or other compatible formats with using Spotify Music Unlocker.