Building Debian ARM64

Excellent work! I can’t wait to try your image out.
You may be able to host it on one of the free file hosting sites like mega.nz(former megaupload) I think they allow up to 50GB free storage. But I’ve only downloaded from there never uploaded myself.

Push this image to the repo’s Releases section. Large files are allowed there.

2 Likes

Thanks, I just uploaded. I’m posting the URL on the top

4 Likes

Great work man. I’m downloading it now. Going to see if i can build Python 3.7 on it once i get it properly installed.

Thanks for your great work. We appreciate it. Let’s PIN it!

OMG! This is HUGE!! Great job,@O635789. Radxa owes you a big party… with champagne…and dancing girls… lots of dancing girls!
How about it, @jack? Don’t you agree?

Yeah, definitely.

Dj_d16edb_5431520

3 Likes

When I use Etcher to put the image on a Micro SD card it doesn’t work. It’s as if the card gets corrupted and I have to re-format it. I can use the same card with other images and it works so I know it’s not the card. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

What’s the symptoms? The first time boot up is slow, I think it’s recreating the log files I purged, but not longer than 30 seconds in my case, after that the boot up becomes normal. Etcher is actually pretty smart, it checks if the image is bootable I remember. Absolutely no need for reformatting since Etcher will overwrite it anyway.
I’ll create a new image with fixed Bluetooth and Ethernet over USB this week

When I use Etcher to flash the image to my SD card it creates four partitions and none of them are readable. If I try to open any of the partitions in Windows it asks me to format it. On my Linux box they act as if they are corrupt and I can’t mount them.

That’s normal. Windows File Explorer doesn’t recognize Linux partitions, it will pop out for every Linux partition (twice, one for writing and one for verification). Just click cancel. Your Rock Pi 4 knows the partitions.

If you insert the card back to Windows, it will pop out again :smile:

Windows and Linux are different animals.

It’s not working on my 64 GB eMMC. I had your image running really well on my 32GB microsd card but i broke the microsd port shortly after (the metal brace broke off the SBC ) :frowning: . debian armhf runs on the eMMC but for some reason your arm64 image doesn’t.

I’ll test it on eMMC for the next build (with fixed bluetooth etc.)

I just found the booting sequence is bizarre! When it booted from the microSD card with eMMC installed, uname -r somehow reporting the kernel version on the eMMC! That’s one of the reasons I’ve wasted days to test the feature in the kernel I just built.

Once I finalized the OS, I’ll run it from eMMC for the long term. microSD is temporary for trying things out.

I think what happen is, Rock Pi 4 ALWAYS boot from eMMC, then uboot picks the first rootfs, which is on microSD! It seems the Pi booted from microSD but not! So, if your microSD is not fast enough to get mounted before uboot picking the rootfs, you won’t get booted from microSD when eMMC presents!

I think some people reported strange booting behavior, this is it.

Lol wierd! Yeah I did get to try your image for a couple of days and it’s pretty amazing. Really fast, and I did build the latest python version on it with no problem at all once i got all the dependencies out of the way. I moved my monitor and the SBC slid off into the drawer of my dresser, caught the micro sd card on the edge and snapped the damn port right off. I won’t blame Radxa because it was my own clumsiness that did it. The EMMC is much faster anyhow and if I want to plug my microsd card in I can just connect a usb adapter. At least I didn’t break my rockpi completely!

Ouch. I didn’t know you “physically” pulled it off.

1 Like

Hmm I wonder is it possible to include a version of the .img with a rootfs (ext4) partition already created in it? I think that might be the issue with it not showing up on linux computers as an accessable drive after using etcher (and also for my case where I can’t use a microsd anymore) I know the debian img for armhf does have a rootfs partition pre-created and it boots off the emmc with no microsd present. I’m going to try to use the KDE disk manager to add an ext4 partition called rootfs to the EMMC after using etcher to write your img and see what happens. (UPDATE) It appears that gparted can’t even read the partition table when I write it to the EMMC for the arm64 image. I’m in over my head I guess.

O635789,

I got it working on a different MicroSD. Not sure if it was the SD card I was using or maybe my download (I downloaded the image again). Looking forward to your new image! Great work.

Make sure there is NO eMMC installed when booting from microSD. I found RockPi4 actually always boot from eMMC first, but jump to the first rootfs (which could be on the microSD), so there is a chance you are running mixed builds if both of them present.

Besides, be careful of ext2fsd (or ext3fsd, ext4fsd, they are the same thing) for Windows. If you install it, make sure uncheck the writing feature (make it read only), it will mess up the super block