Boot partition size

Why is the boot partition so small? Is there a way to expand the partition size once booting from say a 500GB NVME drive? What say you @Jack?

Current boot partition is 500MB, which should be enough for 4 kernels. If you want customize partitions, you can customize it by manually write images to NVMe.

The default partition table can be found at:

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/partitions

Don’t change the partition1/2/3, you can change boot and rootfs as you want with gparted. When dd the image to nvme ssd, you can use skip and seek to write partitions:

boot:
sudo dd if=rockpi4_xxx_-gpt.img of=/dev/nvme0n1 skip=32768 seek=your_boot_offset_sectors count=1048576

rootfs:
sudo dd if=rockpi4_xxx_-gpt.img of=/dev/nvme0n1 skip= 262144 seek=your_rootfs_offset_sectors

That’s odd, my boot partition is always 120MB, even when I loaded onto 128GB mSD…is there a way to unmount nvme after startup to change partition size? Thanks for responding quickly @jack!

well, you will have to delete the last rootfs partition and expand the boot partition and then add a new rootfs partition.

The official Debian is 500MB boot partition.

I’ve been starting out with the official ubuntu image…I’m assuming that dd will be the easiest way to recopy the rootfs, but if I unmount the NVME will emmc take over? Sorry, I’m still very new to this…

You should let the rootfs=/dev/mmcblk1p4 in extlinux.conf and reboot, then modify the partitions on NVMe.

I have successfully swapped back to emmc for /boot.
How do I change the extlinux.conf? Also, shouldnt rootfs=/dev/mmcblk1p5?

You can use this script to backup and restore, and the boot partition will become 256MB (same as Raspbian). Although not straightforward, automation is not error-prone.

While the Debian 9 OS does have a 512MB boot partition, the latest Ubuntu OS has a 112MB partition. And it turrns out that is too small to allow an upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04. I’ve been going round and round trying to bring my Rock Pi Ubuntu installation to Ubuntu 20.04 without success, partially due to troubles with defective memory card adapters. I’ll try burning the Debian distribution and then overwriting the boot and root partitions with the Ubuntu 18.04 file system and see if I can get that to boot, after appropriately editing the partition ID in the extlinux config file.

Finally, I got it all set up and working. I did take my time though… started a fresh ubuntu build from radxa apt and added sddm, xfce desktop, and lxqt desktop. All this was done on emmc. Then debian build on mSD card and dd that to 500 GB nvme. After that, upload spi bootloader and dd ubuntu p4 and p5 to nvme. Then, bridge gpio 23 and 25 during boot sequence. Once loaded, configure drives for nvme boot. Update and upgrade, happily running 20.04 from nvme boot. Cheers! Screenshot_20200618-165902_JuiceSSH|690x335

How exactly did you do this? I’m trying myself, but it’s not going so well