Boot from NVME only works once

Hi
I’m having trouble with my Rock Pi 4c.
I followed all information that is available about NVME boot but what happens is the following:
I install Debian on the NVME with Etcher.
Then I boot from NVME, which works ok.
Then I try to reboot the Rock Pi 4C but it won’t boot up completely.
The error in the console I see is:
17.581548] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: Direct firmware load for rockchip/dptx.bin failed with error -2
[ 26.057473] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
[ 33.585559] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: Direct firmware load for rockchip/dptx.bin failed with error -2
[ 62.829378] nvme 0000:01:00.0: Timeout I/O 1 QID 0
[ 62.829870] nvme 0000:01:00.0: I/O 1 QID 0 timeout, reset controller
[ 62.933926] nvme 0000:01:00.0: Cancelling I/O 1 QID 0
[ 62.935396] nvme 0000:01:00.0: Device failed to resume

This happens every time!
My NVME is a Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Is it not compatible? But why does it boot once and then not a second time?

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.
Laci

Me too. This is an hard work that people who want to buy this SBC must consider to. Install an Operating System on a NVME is hard. I tryed ALL, repeat, ALL images avaiable for this machine. Only the 4.4.xx kernel works with the Display Port and the proper graphic driver. And, OVER this, there is an issue on the project. Every time you change kernel the SBC doesn’t boot. This is because it changes the boot files pointing. This is a ugly way to do!!!
Over it your issue is the same that I have now. The Debian Image is a GPT, you see it by the name. But the it is not supported!!! Ah, Ah, Ah,. The debian image, after the first boot, try to change something in the partition BY the GPT way!!! Ugly! Infact there are some GPT errors that Gparted signs to me at every boot! They must change it!

Hi, this may help, provided that some spare time to spend, and enthusiasm.

Dear WeeCee. Yes I made that try of course, I made all. We are at the point that the Debian Radxa image let us use Bluetooth and mDP, that is important because the hdmi is not strong!! My board is new and after some link and unlink the connector is now near to die! So I need the stronger connector.
About the Armbian image: it has not the USB driver. Only one usb port works, and it is used by the keyboard key.
And the main question that you can reply for is: why the reboot doesn’t work? I flash the Armbian image, I flash the Debian Image, I can boot but only the first time, after the shutdown it not reboots.

Hi, but your rock pi boots from the nvme when switched on by plugging in the power cable, and/or turning on the power switch, and without an os sd-card in the slot? If it does not "re"boot from your command line “# shutdown -R now” or grph “Log out - Restart” then it might be a question of os settings, not much to do with rocki.
My present working setup is roughly as follows;

• Rock Pi 4C, ver 1.2, yes it’s ver1.2, underlining the word ver1.2 as there was some info that versions 1.4 and above, if existing, have an SPI-chip. This one has it, and it works.
  • HDMI works with a thick cable and with an hdmi-hdmi mini adapter, no brain in that, just an adaptor. Yes, the screen flickers sometimes, but for now, the last two months, it’s been working pretty well. And good to remember that I’ve not touched neither moved it during these months so not much dusting rags close to it recently… Just afraid that the HDMI-connector dies again if disturbed, the mDP conn. does nothing as I’ve an Armbian in this, and kept the system up-to-date using regular command line “apt-get” & graph synaptic
    *rock pi’s nvme add-on board and a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB, and the whole combo is in an acryl box by Radxa. + a BT mouse & keyboard, a usb hub & usb hard drives seem to work with this, and its sd slot is empty, been since the 1st nvme boot!

As described somewhere earlier it was not an easy task to get it booting from Smansung EVO hd -a lot of trial errors - I’d say randomly, as not that much into these gadgets. But for me Armbian was more like plug and play, after getting gpio -pins shorted, and maybe something else, can’t remember anymore. I’m rather an occasional user, or consumer, than a computer wizard, and use these for less serious tasks. At work it’s more or less M$ Windoze, but nothing related to IT.

For ref., If you happen to have an Armbian this might help, my armbianEnv.txt looks like this. Right or wrong it seems to work, and there you probably can see the minimum level what it should have, although not to be copied letter by letter as your system is different anyhows:

verbosity=1
bootlogo=true
overlay_prefix=rockchip
fdtfile=rockchip/rk3399-rock-pi-4c.dtb
rootdev=UUID=7c1f8f7f-e658-4ac4-b356-1ec5f6e057b9
rootfstype=ext4
disp_mode=1920x1080
# extraargs=drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1920x1080.bin
overlays=spi-jedec-nor
param_spinor_spi_bus=1
usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u,0x0bc2:0xab2e:u

Thanks for all. I need the mDP port since the HDMI goes away after a simple touch and probably it is not well soldered. The only one sysop that let my Rockpi run, with every hardware components, is Debian multi display. But with it I cannot see the NVME drive! Armbian Manjaro etc have some hardware not working: Bluetooth and USB ports!! Manjaro and Armbian boot from NVME without the SD card, but after the first “apt upgrade” the Rockpi stops to go. The last try is another drive. I bouht just now, on Ali, a KingSpec drive hopeing to see it in the Debian 9.
The second chance, that I have, is to install a SD+NVME to redirect boot from SD to NVME. For me it could be good to boot by the SD card. But there is not a guide to do that. This SBC is not a Raspberry killer :smile:
We shouldn’ty buy this clones. The next SBC for me will be only Raspberry!!

the HDMI goes away after a simple touch

This is mostly like the micro HDMI cable doesn’t match the connector, try with another cable.

armbian had ROCK Pi 4C mDP support already:

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/4971535c774a1f49a811baebc083ea028ced0300

Hi Jack. I apreciate your work to let us believe in this SBC. But it is hard. The micro HDMI is not well soldered and my connector is good. If you rotate the Rockpi the monitor goes and returns and the fear is to breack everything. I prefere the mDP. The code you have sent is beautifull, green colours … and pink! But I cannot use it. Please send a link to a manual to implement it. I would have the proudness to use this machine as my FIRST and MAIN pc. But it is far away for it. I could hope for some good man that help me to make a combined boot. The micro SD for recognize the M.2 drive and Debian DualDesk to implement all necessary hardware (bluetooth and all USB ports!!!).

Hi Jack. How to implement this patch? Thanks.

It was released within Armbian:
https://docs.armbian.com/Release_Changelog/

which will anyway be the closest to your goal:

I was oriented on the 4.4.xx kernels because with the 5.xx all the screen twist. And it is not an Armbian issue. Manjaro too have a display that twist and there is not a only one correct line! The 4.4.xx can correctly render the screen. The Manjaro last image and Armbian last image don’t support the mDP port. I simply change the adapter and I have the black screen after the port swinging. At the moment, for me, only Debian 9 Dual display image let use all hardware (Armbian + K 4.4 loose the usb ports but bluetooth ok – Armbian + 5.xx K has bluetooth and USB but not display and not mDP port).

I noticed that I did not try this version: 21.05!! I am going to do that now!!!
There not hope to understand the differences between the two version: buster and focal.

There you are destined to some demo quality and to limited vendor / rockchip support. Rare people can help you … legacy kernels are not something you want to use and certainly not something to deploy and forget. They were old years ago since they start shipping boards and are already obsolete. They don’t receive any security updates and there is little community support. Not in case of this hw, not everywhere else. This is a (frozen private linux) kernel, where hardware adaptation was made. Mainstream Linux is already a place where some junk code can get in, while legacy have no quality control … but they care about covering functions. When they are covered …

Remember that fixes made by Armbian’s crew are their private expense. Porting eDP driver took weeks and since you (end user) or competition usually just take and use - in case of support or troubles: https://github.com/armbian/build#support

I would suggest you to dive into https://docs.armbian.com/ Most of such questions are answered.

1 Like

Igor. Thanks to reply to me here. I wrote the problem in the Armbian forum without any replies. With the 5.xxx kernels Manjaro Armbian Diet every ARM based distro have GPU problems. The screen is not well rendered. I have sent an image. The lines in the screen are like this: Z. Sorry for my bad English, I have sent an image. The colours are correctly represented but the resolution is 1024 as a normal VGA screen. I cannot install a GPU drive by myself. The same Armbian based on kernel 4.xx is rendered well by GPU and the resolution could be set up to 1980. Thanks.

Then you probably don’t have any friends there - make them first. Armbian only provides community support, where you need to give something to stand out from a crowd of takers. There are two ways to distinguish yourself by helping or by getting a subscription? If not, there are 1000 people asking for something before you … things eventually gets attention, but weeks turning to months is not something strange. Also if the problem is related with expensive development is usually skipped. Community has endless appetite for FREE (paid by developers families) fixing and development. But sadly it’s not free. Starting with this answer.

This will not get you problem solved, but someone will look if that is possible and perhaps give some directions.

Armbian is probably the only one that also deal with kernel R&D - the expensive development. Dietpi is a poorly constructed bash script on top of Armbian / Raspbian while Manjaro provides only RAW unmodified mainline kernel. It packs what is released and that can be also up to a year behind Armbian. This means you can only have the same or worse experience.

What you are asking might be connected with high costs, which might be the primary reason that nobody has answered. Or why the problem exists in first place.

Yes Igor. I appreciate Armbian and it is the first thing that I consider when I buy SBC. Armbian is a beautifull community and I love it. But there will not other SBC in my house than the most famous: R…Pi.

Hello. From China arrived a KINGSPEC drive. It is the drive that is listed in the website. With this Drive the Debian Image boots again and now I can use the M.2 drive. The Display Port issue remains. Only HDMI port is working.