Big HeatSink with M2 Extender. Assembly Help

It looks really cool

The custom copper columns
M2.5 18+10 ——2
M2.5
18+3 ——2

We will add 4 customized copper columns in the M.2 extend board package, to facilitate the use of heat sink with it.

Great news!
Is there another customized version of copper columns for PoE head mounting?

Yes, definitely for PoE Hat

just sharing the solution I found to put the rockpi + big heatsink + m2 extender together with the raspiberryPI …

All right so far … temps at 48C for raspberry and 46C rockpi …

It looks really cool and keeps the temperature under control. :+1:

Hi,
I just installed my M2 extender board and connected the cable like on your picture (the blue writing on the outside). Noting worked. After I changed the cable (writing inside) everything works perfect. So did it work for you in this direction?
Norbert

Sorry, maybe the previous picture gave out the wrong direction.

Please pay attention to the correct installation of FPC wiring.

Hi,
on your other picture the flex cable looks longer than the one which comes with the adapter. Do you know where I can get longer flex cables?
Norbert

We will provide one long and one short two FPC cables to the customer.

I already bought my M2 Extender and there are two exact same short cables in the package.
Norbert

My complete package ordered in December was still with two identical, short cables.

The original intention was that the shorter the line, the less loss to the signal. So choose the right length.

The feedback we received now is that the line needs to be longer, so we will adjust it in the following product.

We will also contact our agent to add a variety of different length specifications FPC line for choosing. Satisfy different usage scenarios.

Excuse me, you’re absolutely right, of course. For a secure data transmission, especially at high clock rates, every additional millimeter of line length is an additional risk and should be avoided. But if you want to shrink PC technology to SBC size and still keep prices low, you have to be willing to compromise. This willingness to compromise should also be brought along by us buyers. In a few months, when everything is running smoothly, hardly anyone will be interested in whether they can easily change the SD card when the M2 Extender is connected, because a change is hardly necessary.

Okay, I’m having the same problem with not having the smaller standoff to accommodate the heatsink being mounted onto the same point as the M2 adapter (as shown in the last 2 photos).
A pillar would support the weight of the board or heatsink, depending upon orientation, but it won’t solve the problem of firmly attaching the end of the heatsink.
@luffy, in my case, there simply needs to be a 12 mm flathead screw that is inserted into the top of the board, threaded through the M2 adapter, then (with everything lined up) threaded into the heatsink. A spacer between the M2 adapter and heatsink is optional, because both are threaded.
I would also like to use the mass of the heatsink to mount the SSD to it, but the holes are not threaded on the other side, so I will need to tap my own threads.
I would like to share how I have mounted the SSD underneath the heatsink, which exposes the uSD slot, GPIO header, and allows for an fan to be mounted inside the top of a layered RPi 3 case. It looks like this configuration might solve some issues that other folks have mentioned, such as ribbon cable length, uSD access, cooling, etc.
I think it’s kinda cute, Might call her Purdy Pi, lol.

Hope this is helpful.
Disclaimer: I had to file away clearances for the RTC connector, USB-C connector, and USB3 switch. The lower standoffs could be shorter or the SSD card could be enclosed inside a box, which screws onto the bottom of the heatsink.

Nice setup. Is that a lithium battery on top, being used for UPS? That’s what my Rock Pi is sitting on (pics on previous post). It’s a 10,000 mah, with a 12 VDC input, split for 12 VDC output as well as a 5VDC USB output (dev boards & perifs). I plan on running the 12 VDC through a buck converter to ensure a stable 9 VDC for the Rock Pi.
Happen to have a little 5 W 12VDC solar panel on a tracker. Hopefully it can charge the battery.

How have you been running yours?

Your feedback is very helpful to us.

We will update the design based on your feedback.

I particularly like the idea of mounting the M2 Extender on the heatsink, so you can easily get the SD card and both parts, which I would like to know in an air stream, are together. That was also my first thought, but unfortunately I got away from it, because the holes for it don’t have a suitable thread. I have to order a screw tap.

My Rock Pi 4b has only been running for 1 day. I haven’t applied the heatsink silicone, yet. Waiting to buy a tap and 12 mm long screws to secure the heatsink, first.
Last night, Debian desktop popped up on first boot, which was nice to see. Only need to learn Linux and Python now That might keep me out of trouble for a few days.
Hopefully, the fan inside the RPi3 case forces air inwards, which creates high enough air pressure to force heat out of the board’s chamber. The heatsink is fully exposed to the air, including ~ 1/8" space between it and the plastic divider, which isolates any heat from the SSD. Again, the SSD card is mounted on 1/4" standoffs, to facilitate airflow.
If this proves to be insufficient airflow, I will mount 2 HDD fans on an intake manifold at one end of the heatsink, blowing through the fins. If that doesn’t cut it, I’ll install 2 more exhaust fans at the other end of the heatsink.
We shall see.

mounting the M.2 extend board under the heatsink

also can mounting the M.2 extend board on the board

being more convenient

also getting smaller