Battery connector

The V1.2 version of the 5a has no battery connector anymore. Is it possible to just solder one, or are more components removed (seems to be if I compare the images)?

you mean the RTC battery connector? it’s removed to be compatible for some rpi cases.

Yes, the position is suboptimal, but again, is soldering a connector enough, or are also some smd parts removed?

Solder pads are still there.

hi,
I tried to solder it but it doesn’t work
when I unplug the board, the rock 5a turn off
maybe something to activate? but what???

You expect the battery to work as a power source to temporarily power the board?

The RTC battery is too keep the Real Time Clock powered so it doesn’t lose date/time when the (rest of the) board is powered off.

It’s not a fallback power source for the whole board.

Oh ok ! I didn’t have understood the thing like this
Thx for the informationđź‘Ť

1 Like

To answering my own question: It seems, that not only the battery connector was removed, but also 2 diodes and the RTC itself (still no schematics available, but the kernel does not find a rtc device). Hence, soldering a battery connector is not sufficient, as I expected.

1 Like

Would be nice to know if it’s possible to solder some RTC chip and make it work?

Here you can find the schematics of the 5A:

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/hardware

I’ not the HW guy, so I show this to my friend, the answer is doesn’t worth the effort. Buy a cheap ds3231 module and attach it to the header, works out of the box (after enabled i2c). Probably much easier, more safe then smd soldering, and more accurate and fits into most shells.

1 Like