Armbian boot from NVME

Hello,
I am trying to configure my Rock PI 4 for boot from NVME and I am following this guide

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/Linux_system_runs_on_M.2_NVME_SSD

I am stucked in steps of installation needed packages

Install necessary packages

$ sudo apt-get install -y rockchip-fstab
$ sudo apt-get install -y rockchip-overlay
$ sudo apt-get install -y rockpi4-dtbo
$ sudo apt-get install -y linux-4.4-latest # Will update kernel

Currently first twoo commands have same symptoms and it is error like this

dpkg: error processing package rockchip-fstab (–configure):

• installed rockchip-fstab package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 32*
    Errors were encountered while processing:
  • rockchip-fstab*
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I read somewhere that I am not using correct repository, that this in guide is not for Amrbian so can you anybody advice me how to do it on Armbian??

Currently I am runnig fine from eMMC and I would like to move whole system from eMMC to NVME.

Thank you a lot
Tomas

Have you tried this https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-install-to-emmc-nand-sata-usb

I am booting from eMMC without trouble but I would like to boot from NVME and I am not able to install packages above

You don’t need to install nothing. Those packages are useless.

hmm, then sorry but with steps in link which you put there I will able to boot from SSD M.2 NVME disk?

Direct boot from NVME disk is possible only if you have SPI flash with bootloader. If you don’t have it, boot loader must be on eMMC. If you don’t have eMMC, bootloader must be on SD card. Tool nand-sata-install moves a content of SD/eMMC to NVME driver and adjust boot process that your system loads from NvME. But boot loader remains on eMMC. If you remove it, you will not be able to boot from NvME …

If you do have (updated!) SPI flash, this is enough:

sudo dd if=‘your image path’ of=‘your NVME SSD device path’ bs=1M
#such as: sudo dd if=armbian_image_which_is_packed_inside7z.img of=/dev/nvme0n1 bs=1M

I have SPI on my board Rock PI 4A 1.4 and how I understood so packages which I would like to install are needed for steps which will update SPI

I see. There is a lot of complications to update u-boot on SPI … Perhaps do the update part by using Radxa Debian. Search also this forum. I think I saw a quicker solution.

IMO This is the only package you need to install, once you add Radxa repository.
apt-get install -y rockpi4b-rk-u-boot-latest

so really I need only this one?

I just did dd copy of eMMC to my NVME and will invetsigate how to update SPI