Archlinux on Rock5b

pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate

i think?

Iā€™ve done this before and have had success with:

pacman-key --populate archlinuxarm

1 Like

yeah i think thats because e2e encryption depends on public key part of oneā€™s key pair. So that everyone must create his own to establish trust. One another reason why publishing images can be insecure. Once one of those keys are exposed all of the users connections are also. Or one could decrypt the other ones since somewhere in the FS there should be private key pair, just wanted to note here as an observation without getting sidetracked.

Hmmmm did you unzip the xz tarball before flashing?

i dont flash, partition is already there. i just extract it.

bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-aarch64-latest.tar.gz -C mountpointinfilesystem

as described here. https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/generic

If you were to partition, u can use gparted to create an ext4 fs, and then mount it, and extract on it.

Oh Sorry Iā€™m asking @Joperfi about my iso.

That iso is zipped with tar.xz and should be extracted before flashing.

Yes, Iā€™m trying to extract it now in Dolphin but it seems to be taking forever and not completing. I have Ark installed also so Iā€™ll try that. Perhaps should I re-download the file from your link if it doesnā€™t work?

i think you are using SDCard, but dont use dolphin in your own risk because it may not preserve the file attributes like owner. You need to compile bunch of things in this system so i dont really suggest an sd card. You might have troubles.

I think you can use your old friend cli. tar -xvf to do it in command line. Should not take too long if you have a good enough CPU and not too bad disk.

So far so good. I was able to unzip the file and write it to my nvme drive. I then used Gparted to expand the rootfs. Now to transfer the drive to the rock5b. It should boot now.

Success! Booted right up.

Since the ISO is from your ā€œworkingā€ setup, do I need to run pacman-key --init & pacman-key --populate archlinuxarm?

Thanks a bunch.

what iso? you mean the tarball from https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/generic? Thats the official archlinuxarm repo not mine. And in that case yes, you need to update your keys, setup your sudo at least.

@Joperfi No you donā€™t. I did that already.

@boogiepop Sorry but this forum is a bit confusing. Replying others could be looks like a reply to OP. You have to look at the right top corner of each message to see whom is replying to.

@boogiepop,

@gnattu took all your hard leg work and put it together (with his own hard work) into one ISO file posted around #12 in this chain. Thanks to both of you!!

thanks that one worked, I think had done it without archlinuxarm and wasnā€™t working.
I believe archlinux and archlinuxarm have some differences, completely different mainteners, supportā€¦

let me try to clarify: for now we need to retrieve linux-rockchip-bsp5 from github and install manually with makepkg -si right? until that package gets eventually AURed.

regarding the kernel itself, is there any noticeable differences between this one and the one from armbian? do we have possibiltiy to recompile (to include patch for instance) as I will have to do it to try gofaster panfork version.

Otherwise for now I much prefer that image, as with the armbian had issues with booting rock5b, requiring me to plug/unplug power several times each time I was rebooting, until the board finally accepts to boot (same issue I had with android image).

Looking at iso structure, seems quite different in the way of booting. In armbian, had only single partition with boot populated in rootfs. Here we have separate boot partition, that we can mount in rootfs. Much closer to what I saw in my previous archlinux installationā€¦

yes currently everyhing is manual. There is no AUR except panfork, there already is a AUR package for that in AUR which seems to work. So we creating everything from scratch here so it is a bumpy road.

There were someone in Discord saying that ā€˜Reborn OSā€™ is supporting rock5b which base don arch, may be you can also take a look at that.

In future yes there will be options to recompile kernel as well, but first video accelrationa nd FFMped stuff, which i got 4k 60fps accelration to work. I will push the packages soon.

Normally u-boot looks for /extlinux/extlinux.conf file and boots from there. So as long as there is such folder there is actually no need for a 2nd partition as well. I did not check how Arbian does it, may be they are using bootscripts or enabled EFI with a custom u-boot, but i just dont want to go that route, because i can use extlinux method in my other devices including Allwinner & Rockchip.

I will push the ffmpeg and kodi packages soon.

Ah sorry there already is a Armbian Kernel binary package in AUR so you can give it a try if thats what you are lookign for. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-rockchip-rk3588-bin

Thanks for explanation, I also prefer the 2 partitions scheme.
Iā€™m currenlty looking at your PKGBUILD to understand how kernel installation is doneā€¦
Iā€™ll also have a look to armbian kernel from the AUR.
Otherwise I guess I can compile my custom kernel separately and just overrides relevant files in boot partition myself ?
Iā€™m looking to improve 3D acceleration, by getting custom kernel to work with gofaster panfork as it has been discussed on discord.

rkmpp + ffmpeg based video decoder accelration added in the packages.

3 Likes