Adbd host services and OSX

Hi;

I am using OSX Catalina, and rockpi Debian Stretch.

Reading the getting started guide (https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiS/getting_started) it says that the rockpi-s can be accessed using adb when connected to a host, however I am unable to see any devices when I execute adb devices .

If however I connect an android tablet and execute adb devices, then I see the android table listed, so I don’t think this is an issue with my notebook, and yes the usb cable is high quality and has been tested with other usb devices and is not just a charger cable.

Also, If I boot the rockpi without an SD card, and run lsusb, then the device is listed as a usb device, however if I do the same with the system booted, then no usb device is listed.

I have also booted the device and accessed it via ssh, and I do not see any adb related services running, again the getting started guide says

By default, the ROCK Pi S Linux image enables adbd services

However I did not see any related adb services shown using systemctl and it looks to me like adbd service are not installed at all !

Also, I do not see any other posts here related to connection to the rockpi-s via adb, is anybody doing this on a mac and if so how ??

Thanks

I see there is a rockpi.service, but that does not appear to startup successfully, and the folder /packages/libmali does not exist, creating it makes no difference.

sudo systemctl start rockchip
rock@rockpis:~$ sudo systemctl status rockchip
● rockchip.service - Setup rockchip platform environment
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rockchip.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-01-14 00:52:29 UTC; 3s ago
Process: 2077 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/rockchip.sh (code=exited, status=2)
 Main PID: 2077 (code=exited, status=2)
Jan 14 00:52:29 rockpis systemd[1]: Started Setup rockchip platform environment.
Jan 14 00:52:29 rockpis rockchip.sh[2077]: /etc/init.d/rockchip.sh: line 45: warning: command substitution: ignored null byte in input
Jan 14 00:52:29 rockpis rockchip.sh[2077]: It's the first time booting.
Jan 14 00:52:29 rockpis rockchip.sh[2077]: The rootfs will be configured.
Jan 14 00:52:29 rockpis rockchip.sh[2077]: dpkg: error: cannot access archive '/packages/libmali/libmali-rk-utgard-400-*.deb': No such file or directory
Jan 14 00:52:29 rockpis systemd[1]: rockchip.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
Jan 14 00:52:29 rockpis systemd[1]: rockchip.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 14 00:52:29 rockpis systemd[1]: rockchip.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
rock@rockpis:~$

Hi, ROCK Pi S Debian stretch image, rockpis_debian_stretch_minimal_arm64_190806_0234-gpt.img, do not support adb.

ROCK Pi S Debian Buster/Ubuntu Bionic system images on https://dl.radxa.com/rockpis/images/ support adb.

I suggest that you use the newest system images.

Thanks so much

What is the steps to install adb on the minimal image ?

On ROCK Pi S, you can install rockchip-adb package. And execute command

/etc/init.d/adbd.sh start

to start adb.

@Stephen - Thanks so much that works :slight_smile:

How can I have this auto-start during boot ??

I have tried:

sudo update-rc.d adbd.sh defaults

and

sudo ln -s "/etc/init.d/adbd.sh" /etc/rc3.d/S01adb

but neither appear to work ??

@crankshaft
Like. Really? It’s basically first link

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=debian+how+to+autostart+a+program

@Dante4 - Thanks, yes I am very familiar with starting services in debian distros, however there is no systemctl adb.service file for this and sudo update-rc.d adbd.sh defaults for debian service does not appear to work.

As this is a standard module on the full (not the minimal) I thought that there would be a systemctl service file and would not need to create one myself.

@crankshaft, yes, exactly because there is no service for it uou need to create one, by creating service that will execute this .sh file