A new twist on an electric guitar Help needed!

Ok. Where to start. Take a twin humbucker guitar (Les Paul style), with analog volume and tone(low pass) pots. Take the analog into an ADC, then digital to digital pots. So far so good !
Could we use a Rock Pi 4 to take a “snapshot” of the settings, store them as a sound patch (sound 1, sound 2, etc), and then recall them at a press of an up, down button, or step encoder ?
Also, can a digipot have just a cap added for the tone control, like the analog pots, that roll off the treble to GND ? I’ve looked everywhere for that, to no avail !

The RockPi is not suitable for blues. Joking aside, that was just a pun. Measuring analog signals, recording them and maybe watching them on screen is one thing, but intervening in the electronics from the outside is another. When recording the signals, the computer can be protected from interference and damage from the guitar. This can be done by relatively simple measures.
Conversely, playing back the recording is much more difficult. A computer normally doesn’t generate currents as strong as a guitar does, so you have to help with small amplifiers. But worse is the negative influence on the sound, which can’t be ruled out if you intervene in the electronics of the guitar.
Therefore I would recommend a completely different way, which excludes an electrical connection, between computer and guitar, from the outset. I would record the mechanical rotation of the knobs and replay the recording using small motors.

Addendum: Actually, this screams to generate MIDI control change messages from the rotary movements. This is more versatile and it is possible to control a virtual effects unit on the PC or Mac with a switch or knob on the guitar.

1 Like

The RockPi is not suitable for blues.

:smiley: