7" LCD support on Android 9

Is there a build that supports the 7" DSI display? What changes would I need to make to the source to support it?

I think you refer the Official Raspberry Pi display, right? It’s wip now.

Any ETA on it? I’m building an in-wall control system that’s running linux in a chroot on android, don’t want to put a bunch of effort into getting everything set up on 7 if I’m gonna switch to 9 soon.

I too am interested in 7" LCD support. i use my RockPi 4B as a tablet/Android box which is great when travelling as I can watch movies from a flash drive when no wifi is available, then get to my hotel, plug into TV and connect to my Plex server/Netflix etc.

Wouldn’t it be easier to use a laptop or a REAL tablet?

If you really like to do things the hard way, then try looking for a small LCD with an HDMI interface. There are LOTS of them, check amazon, ebay, or aliexpress.

I have a wall mount designed for the 7" display that mounts to a standard electrical box and is powered over PoE. Anything else would require opening up the wall again to run power.

Any updates on this? Currently using a RPi 4 but it’s slow running Android.

Would this build work with a hdmi touchscreen using usb for touch input? or is there any build that supports this?

link for ref; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33005590305.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.31344c4dcRP2zQ

Normally those usb touch screen for Raspberry Pi is for Linux since they report the touch event as mouse, the touch may not work under Android. If you can build the android image, then you can fix it. @Lili can provide more details.

Now we support the official Raspberry Pi display on Android 9. You can just use it.

Hey @jack & @Lili i just flashed android 9 but the raspberry official touchscreen does not work. Any ideas?

Edit: note that it works ok in android 7 and debian
Using RockPi-android9-20200522_1559

Hi @jack

I also tried the official Raspberry pi display on Android 9, but it’s not working.

Some posts say that Android 9 cannot officially support it, but which is true?

Here is the issue, the DSI port on ROCK Pi 4, is the DSI1 of RK3399, which is usually used combined with DSI0, to drive 8 lanes MIPI panels, left half is DSI0, right half is DSI1. DSI1 shares many registers with DSI0, so to use DSI1 to drive standalone display panel, we need a patch which mirror the DSI0/DSI1. This is done on Android 7.1. For now, please use Android 7.1 with DSI1. We haven’t ported the patch to Android 9 yet. Probably we will skip Android 9 and port it to Android 10.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

Probably we will skip Android 9 and port it to Android 10.

Off the subject of this issue, but does skipping Andorid9 and porting it to Android 10 mean that Android 10 will be the main focus in the future?
If you can, please let me know.

Android 10 has better dual display support than Android 9. That’s why we will focus on Android 10 in the future.

1 Like

I now understand about Android 10. Thank you.

So does the android 10 image work with the 7" screen now?

1 Like

Do you have any updates about Android 10 compatibility with raspberry pi 7" DSI screen? Thanks

1 Like

It’s impossibile that after 3 years there isn’t any news about the possibility to use Android 9 or 10 or 11 with DSI display. I really don’t understand why

This might help

however it’s an android 12 fix but you could try.