ZERO 3E - no eMMC - what a pity!?

I received notification that my Radxa Zero 3E has shipped from Arace Tech which is a pleasant surprise considering the item has only been listed.

My Rock 5A blue 16gb and accessories has also finally shipped so very happy to see Arace working on fixing supply issues and the backlog of orders.

Most of their stock is out for now :frowning: Yet again I saw Rock5B 32GB and it’s out again :frowning: Also many other sbcs are gone on site and most of menu links are 404 now. I never saw meles available to order as well as Rock 3E POE HAT.

1 Like

I believe they removed certain items to stop people placing orders that they knew would get delayed as they faced warehousing problems. These things are slowly getting fixed.

I’m unsure about the 32GB versions as I hear vendors are having issues getting the RAM chips which is why we don’t see the OrangePi available or limited stock but I may be wrong.

I was interested in the Milk-V Meles as the pricing looked good for TH1520 SBC but I suspect software is holding it back and we see very little information so hopefully it isn’t cancelled as its got good specs for the form factor.

I did buy a Mars early and its not bad but shipped with very limited software compared to the more established JH7110 SBCs so I think they don’t want to repeat that experience with Meles?

1 Like

This is just way different approach than allnet that lists everything with information that it’s not available :wink:
For Risc-V so far we all know that it’s dev boards with software at very early stages and it would be just nice to see some release date for that. Some work was done on same soc with Lichee for sure. On Q3 there should be also Milk-V Oasis :slight_smile:

1 Like

You got your voucher code in for a Milk-V Oasis Dom? I have as burning edge and likely will be burnt but just too interesting not to give it a punt :slight_smile:

yes :slight_smile: it’s first one (dev grade) that should have virtualization interface implemented :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes allnet does it better but to their credit Arace is getting better as they grow.

I really like what Milk-V are doing with RISC-V as the pricing is competitive and the Duo has been really successful so hopefully they can replicate it with Mars and Meles as Pioneer and Oasis are different levels of hardware and performance.

I predict 2024 will see big improvement in RISC-V development but from what I can see we’re still reliant on ARM and x86 for readymade device’s but the gap is closing which is good for consumers.

The CHIPS act has likely accelerated opensource RISCV and long term may damage Arm.
Not really bothered about virtualization with the Oasis as focus is ML which it should be a relative monster, but we will see :slight_smile:

UCTRONICS did a really nice usb ethernet / power adapter that would convert a Zero3w into a Zero3e whilst still having the choice eMMC https://uk.robotshop.com/products/uctronics-poe-adapter-to-micro-usb-ethernetpower
I sort of like those than a hat that is just for a single soc and the lack of eMMC is a thing for me when I think of camera apps where SD is just dumb video storage of write till failure, with system on eMMC.

1 Like

Arace is some kind of fresh view here, they describe every product in easy to understand way and pay attention to some details on their shop. This is very nice and makes easier to order for some people. It’s just nice to have some alternative because there are two stocks. Also they have somo promo, like the one for BF that are really interesting :smiley:

It was on Arace site with price lower than 16G Allnet version. Somebody received 16G instead of 32G version, but others are happy, probably arace solved somehow this issue, so it’s worth to order that when it’s yet again available. Probably those 2x16G chips will more accessible in future and with lower prices, and probably pi5 will also get 16G version.

Meles should share most of Lichee 4A features and software, I think it’s just more capable board with bettter format than Lichee. It’s incredible how Risc-V is developing, still there are several software issues and workarounds but it’s promising. ARM invested in raspberry some money to keep his position (and probably to block RiscV move from them), but we should see at some point Radxa on this arch. I know they already involved in SF boards, but still nothing branded by them, this should change sooner or later.

Wow, at some point I was looking for something like this, but at larger scale.

I saw one project with 4x raspberry pi zero w that implemented several things - each one connected via usb to active usb hub (+ power), where there was connected usb ethernet adapter, all of them connected to ethrenet switch, which of course needed own power. This made whole setup just huge and with big cable spaghetti :wink:
I hope that some day we will have some kind of “usb hub with power and ethernet”, same idea as here but for multiple ports (usb-c) and ethernet + power on the other side.

1 Like

Yeah having a hub and POE nic in one that powers the hub and SBC is a tidy solution that can go on any SBC of a certain power rating.

Realtek have a range of USB Nics and Hubs https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-usb-3-0-software
But there is a wide and varied choice, where the power criteria is likely the only choice, but they would make things far tidier fro Zero format boards and work on all.

1 Like

So do we have any news on when we can expect to see the PoE HAT released for the Radxa ZERO 3E or are we waiting for stable software that will support its use…?

https://radxa.com/zero/3e/overview/network-3e.webp

1 Like

I’m also interested in this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any updates for an eMMC-version for the Zero 3E?

1 Like