What do we want in the next Rock Pi?

On the chip there is RK3328 so it may be not this board… Should be RK3566.

We are working on the wiki page reconstruction now, here is the interface description page of E23:

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock3/CM3/radxae23

1 Like

I wonder what bus will Ethernet 2.5G , USB or PCI?
Maybe E23 will make a great Firewall run by OPNsense.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts, though I might wait for the E25…

Looking at the wiki page. I’d assume 2.5g is connected over pcie as it cannot be achieved over usb3 and be utilised fully.

Pcie support is almost ready for upstream linux kernel can’t wait to test this board.

I would like all the hot chips to be at the bottom of he PCB, and all the connectors at the side / top. That way one can take a big heatsink without a fan (or a thick sheet of aluminum), and mount the PCB on top of it.

Bonus points if one can buy a mounting/cooling set that contains of the following:

• silicone pads to bridge the height difference of the different components. (I assume the hottest component is also the tallest, so it has the thinnest pad, and therefore almost no thermal resistance)
  • standoffs that are the correct height, (and maybe springs) so a non-careful user (me!) can’t over-tight and bend the PCB while mounting.
  • optionally a heat sink with 4 tapped holes

I am really digging the Rock5 pico-atx format but for me hot chips on the top as that is how convection works so then the cooler chips are even further isolated from main heat sources.
Rock5 is almost perfect and not sure why it has onboard buttons than jumper that can be wired and just a few side connectors as like a normal mobo all I/O one plane with the rest vertical where extensions and risers can be used.

I am hoping the Rock5 may help cement the pico-atx format and would gladly see it being a base of all boards and also having cases that can use popout single plane backplanes and likely a removable front i/o panel for universal cases.
Prob with pico-atx its a case with removable front & back panel or panels with pop outs with the size of them presuming the panels alone.

I am hoping with revisions with the Rock5 they might just make a few tiny changes with the above mantra.