Some limited success with mainline kernel and U-Boot (5.12.4/2021.04)

I had some limited success with running the N10 using mainline U-Boot and kernel.

There seems to be some issues with powermanagement and the two A72 cores. With “maxcpus=4” (i.e. only enabling the four A53 cores), the system seems to run stable (completed kernel compilation), while enablling all cores causes stability problems.

When installing to eMMC (rkdeveloptool wl 0..), boot with all 6 cores fails some time during kernel initialization and never completes (4 cores works). Installing the same disk image on an SD card at least fully completes the boot process (i.e. login on serial console or via ssh is possible).

Trying to compile the kernel with all 6 cores enabled reproducily fails with all kinds of memory errors (kernel paging faults, userspace segfaults, stack smashing), while using only the four little cores works fine. (echo [0,1] > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu{4,5}/online).

Can somebody confirm this behavior?

Does anyone have some ideas how to narrow down the problems. Any ideas why SD works somewhat, while eMMC fails (Timing? Some regulators?)

N.B.: Using the 4.4.167 vendor kernel also works with 6 cores and full load, which rules out any power supply issues. But I absolutely require a current mainline kernel.

Hi @StefanBruens I have the N10 running with GPU on both 5.10.40 and 5.12.7

Dmesg - http://ix.io/3nW3

Patches to LE10 for N10 support

I have had this crash on FULL cpu load

Lastly: lscpu

lscpu

Architecture: aarch64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 6
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-5
Vendor ID: ARM
Model name: Cortex-A53
Model: 4
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 4
Socket(s): 1
Stepping: r0p4
CPU max MHz: 1416.0000
CPU min MHz: 408.0000
BogoMIPS: 48.00
Flags: fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32 cpuid
Model name: Cortex-A72
Model: 2
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1
Stepping: r0p2
CPU max MHz: 1800.0000
CPU min MHz: 408.0000
BogoMIPS: 48.00
Flags: fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32 cpuid
Vulnerabilities:
Itlb multihit: Not affected
L1tf: Not affected
Mds: Not affected
Meltdown: Not affected
Spec store bypass: Not affected
Spectre v1: Mitigation; __user pointer sanitization
Spectre v2: Mitigation; Branch predictor hardening
Srbds: Not affected
Tsx async abort: Not affected

Regarding the eMMC boot issue you are having. I have had no issues since I went to 2021.04 u-boot …

My older 5.12 notes

A couple more patches:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/?q=regulator%3A+fan53555