RockPi 4C+ - Tutorial to Boot - Debian - From USB (SSD)

All,

I’ve read it’s possible to boot the RockPi 4C+ from the USB, in my case that would be a Samsung USB SSD.
I think I found the install procedure, it just seems to be generic and not specific for booting from the USB. I would prefer a confirmed tutorial, if at all possible.
Has anyone here successfully booted from the USB?
If yes, would you please share your procedure or steps taken?
if no, yet someone knows of a reliable tutorial, would you please share that?

Regards,
-Ron

Since this HW does not have SPI chip to store boot loader to, you need SD card for boot in any case.

For vendor images, check Wiki. I never used it, so can’t confirm. But can confirm that Armbian procedure works the same for almost 10 years. On Armbian, not here.

@igorp,
I have searched and I cannot find any reference to this board NOT having a SPI chip.
If it does have the SPI chip, is booting from eMMC possible? Better yet, from USB?

From the WIKI…

" What’s the difference between Model A and Model B and Model C?

The model B has PoE header, 802.11ac wifi, bt 5.0 while the model A doesn’t have. The form factor is compatible. The Model C has the same features as model B except one additional Mini DP port for dual display and the HDMI port connector is changed to Micro HDMI (D type)."

Regards,
-Ron

C has it, C+ does not have it. Search more …

yes, from eMMC goes the same way as from SD card. From USB you can’t boot directly. Not possible.

@igorp

I stand corrected. I purchased the wrong board for my need.
It appears the only way to improve system response time is eMMC.
I do have a question, you said “From USB you can’t boot directly” What does that mean?

Regards,
-Ron

This is most common mistake people made. If that helps in any way ? :slight_smile: But there is always a solution. Just use SD / eMMC as a boot device and problem solved.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rockchip+boot+process