Rock Pi 4C NVMe boot (no other storage connected) won't work

Ah, good to know. This apparently is the default in visual studio code in which i connect through the serial port.

Anyhow, this isn’t the root cause of the issue i’m having as my device doesn’t boot with or without a serial connection.

Did you catch anything else that might be wrong and cause it to fail booting?

Unfortunately not. That status error comes from the depths of the NVME driver, it’s the completion state from the command queue. Somebody with actual experience with that hardware will have to look at the problem. (I assume that fsck -fy on the storage is OK?)

It should be.
It’s a brand new NVMe (Samsung 970 EVO 1TB).

Which partition table type do i need to use btw? MBR or GPT?

If u-boot recognizes your partition (apparently it does because it can find that file), whatever you use now is fine.

The NVMe may or may not be brand new — if your file system on it is shot for some reason u-boot might want to read off the end of the device which will certainly cause an error. Whether it’s this one remains to be seen.

I don’t have the documentation of the NVMe command queue on my computer and retrieving it + looking up that status code is above what I’m willing to do for free support (plus it’s Christmas plus I have a ton of other stuff to do) so sorry but if fsck doesn’t show any errors you’ll have to look at other options. I suggest trying this with a different NVMe, and/or asking on the u-boot forum / mailing list and/or mailing the people who wrote the u-boot driver.

Well, i do have an older samsung NVMe here (960 EVO 500GB) that i can try. I would just be super surprised if one NVMe works but the other does not of the same vendor.

Could you verify that the conditions i’m trying are conditions that should work? I mean, the 970 EVO is a rather popular one so any testing at Radxa is (i assume) likely done with this one too.