Options for running CM3 on current upstream kernel?

Not sure why I didn’t receive email notification for your at mention. Generally when a package is missing that means it is a new package that we have not yet released to production apt repo. In that case you can either use an older commit which did not use the missing package, or use -T flag to use the testing apt repo.

We did update the production repo a few days ago so that package should be available now.

CM3 is currently a WIP product. The supported products for each profile is defined in fork.conf, so for CM3 IO you should use rk356x, which is based on Rockchip 5.10 kernel now.

Probably the issue was caused by me using older rbuild checkout, only updated to the latest git commit. A fresh rbuild today completed OK.

As mentioned in the initial message, I need the latest kernel to be able to work on vanilla features (e.g. the dwc3 in device mode getting stuck when the USB cable is disconnected and not resuming upon cable re-connection). 5.10 is way outdated :slight_smile: But the bsp latest kernel version (6.4.11) seems to run OK, so far.

Thanks for your help.

Please be aware that while we plan to support both mainline kernel and Rockchip kernel (as indicated by the available of stable and latest profiles), rbuild is currently entirely tailored for Rockchip kernel, as such will install a lot of their userland packages.

If you wish to run mainline kernel you should look to use -v flag with rbuild, which will skip the installation of a lot of Rockchip packages.

Thanks for the important info. Can installation of the Rockchip packages make any harm to the running system, or do they just take up space?

Hello Pavel, it would be wonderful if you can share the image…

Thank you very much in advance
Diego

The image will stay 6 days available in https://filebin.net/ym9eg6m9go4wi2ch . It should be with kernel 6.4.11, bullseye cli variant.

For me the key requirement was to be able to update kernel to the latest code) (so that one can communicate with upstream devs), to recompile whole kernel packages (if some key file is changed, resulting in many compilation products), and to recompile individual modules (to work on individual modules). I built the image just twice (the first time I chose kernel which did not produce working ethernet so I could not upload the the compiled kernel packages to CM3). All the other time only working in bsp with the kernel updates.