OpenVPN performance

@Talkabout
So i tested OpenVPN (installed by using PiVPN script) and got following results. Phone was connected with Wifi to the same local network as RockPi and RasPi. Both of them connected by cable

No VPN (Download/Upload Mbps)
42.8 / 41.8

RasPI PiVPN
31.1/30.0

RockPI PiVPN
37.1/39.1

So from this i can conclude that problem in your network

1 Like

Hi @Dante4,

thank you so much for testing it!

Although the bandwidth is very low on your end (with and without VPN) your configuration is still able to get a higher throughput than mine.

A few questions:

1. what image have you used?
  2. how is your RockPI 4 connected to power supply and do you have fan/heatsink?
  3. what Raspberry Pi was used (2, 3, 4)?

Bye

phone is still connected over 56Mbits Wifi, so not much i can do about it

1. As i said, i used Debian Desktop from wiki
  2. I used QC power supply, yes i had fan, but that’s unrelated, since it’s not about temperature
  3. I used RasPi 3B+

Hi @Dante4,

can you do me one more favor? On the RockPI can you please execute following command:

curl -L http://speedtest.belwue.net/1G > /dev/null

and tell me the download speed? I have realized that on my RockPI the average speed is 1.5MB/s whereas on one of my Raspberries I reach approx 9MB/s. Both PIs are connected via LAN to the same switch. So it seems that it is not an OpenVPN problem…

Thanks!

Bye

@Talkabout, yes sure, but my next advice is to use iperf to test speed between RockPi and any other device in LAN

Hi @Dante4,

I did that already, and transfer in same network is fast, only loading data from internet is slow… I was assuming that this might have something to do with firewall or similar but have not found anything like this in armbian…

Bye

Hi guys,

the issue seems to be related to one of my network cables. I have exchanged it now and am testing the RockPI in my VPN environment. At the moment it seems to work fine.

Thanks for your support!

Bye

Hi Talkabout,
What kind of speeds did you finally reach ? I am interested in this topic !
Nathan