NVMe problems on rock5

Since that I tested several nvme drives and just swapped to WD SN570 which is working without issues.
HP EX900 still is not showing on this board and rock5 is the only board that has problem with it.

does there exist a list of workig nvme drives?

I am also having issues with an Acer Drive powered by silicon motion sm2263xt which should be supported by the linux kernel.

I find it intersting that,when i plug in the ssd(sumsung,980) ,the power source i used before can cause it repeately reboot(64w huawei) .and i change another power (35W apple,which can’t be used before plug in ssd) can now be used and solve the reboot probelm! I guss it may because the power threshlod PD protocol can recoginze.
anyone have some ideas about that?

2 Likes

I think there needs to be a compatibility list(read cube) with dimensions for power supply, distro/image, hardware

This list almost covers it (search for nvme)
Rock5/5b/power supply - Radxa Wiki

currently my armbian+nvme works only with this (after few attempts of boot cycling)
PD 65W power supply with USB-C connector – ALLNET China and not with Anker GanPrime 45W.

1 Like

ok so got the rock5b working with nvme,

1st there was issue with spi loader

• sudo rkdeveloptool ld
  • rkdeveloptool wl 1 rock-5b-spi-image-g49da44e116d.img ## remove the sudo
  • rkdeveloptool db ./rk3588_spl_loader_v1.08.111.bin ## remove sudo again

Then had same bootloop issue with power supply
I changed from the new usb 3.0 charger to the older fast charger one and it started on nvme
https://www.takealot.com/ilepo-6-port-smart-fast-charging-unit/PLID73303769 use the green port not the red one

hope it helps

3 Likes