Is it possible to connect Rock5b with RAID card?

I’m not sure whether it’s possible. I want to connect Rock5b with RAID card like RockRAID 2722 by using M2. M key to PCIE 3.0 x 4 cable. RAID card is used to control HD cage with 4 SAS 3.5 HD included.

M2.M to PCIE

RockRAID 2722

1 Like

Probably is. Don’t know what driver/hw the raid card uses.

That card probably need 12V supply, which is not supplied on the M.2 interface and not anywhere on the board, so you’ll need to find some way to connect a 12V supply to either the cable (that small 4 pin floppy drive power connector near the PCIe socket) or to the card itself.

I have a PCIe to 4xM.2 card that also needs 12V, and I’m currently powering it (and the board via the GPIO pins) with a Flex PSU.

It may be possible, but no one can say for sure since there is a lot of maybe

For example, I were able to use NC552SFP, but not mellanox connectx-3 pro or 4

Seems like there is kernel driver source code for linux 4.15 so would need to see if you can port it to the radxa 5.10 (or 6.1) kernel

Indeed, it is possible. Rock 5B allows direct plug of a M2-M 2280 SATA controller. Easy to find modules exist based on ASM1166 and JMB585 chips. No specific drivers required, all these modules work out-of-the-box with all Armbian or Debian/Ubuntu CLI releases I have tested.

However, use of the Radxa Quad/Penta SATA hats is not obvious with this board, so I would stick to a 2280 module with regular SATA data cables and a cage for Molex/SATA power. For the HDDs, an alternate power supply is required. On my end, I found that 4pin Molex from a 150~250 ATX or Flex power supply is fine and it can feed the Rock 5B as well ditrectly from the 20/24 pin ATX power cable (5V+ground to USB-C or maybe to GPIO)

Please check my modest contribution here Rock boards as NAS solution :wink:

This is working quite fine with software RAID and I am about to finalize a NAS including surveillance station based on Rock 5B board in a Fractal Design Node 304 NAS case. In the end, this is not really cheaper compared to a low power x86 ITX board, but it is perfectly possible!