Hello from Dawson Creek, BC, Canada -1

… is compressed ram on Armbian :slight_smile: which is sync 1 / day , on reboot to the hdd.

No, just leave it as is. Preconfigured swap settings is best way. Study behind:

I am reading through the article you pointed out Igor.

An article in TheRegister about advertisers abusing DNS to track people, made me decide to try and set up a Pi-hole. I am using a “lowly” RPi-3b+ for this.

In trying to get this 3b+ going, I tried using balenaeditor to write the image. With or without zenity installed, it wouldn’t write the image to a new microSD card in a card reader (so I am using dd). Having dd read the card image to another file and doing a diff, the two images are the same. So I did a sync to flush buffers and pulled the SD reader out of the USB slot.

Since balenaeditor didn’t work with this Raspbian image, I have my doubts about it working with the Armbian image.

The only thing I have done with this 1TB SSD so far, is partition it. I will guess that the image Armbian produces, is probably a single partition (sort of) on a common filesystem. Ext2 or ext4 would be fine. So whatever the partition table is on the device after copying to the SSD; I may be able to repartition things and move stuff around.

No rush on commenting. I am pushing myself into a position where a whole bunch of hardware upgrades need to happen. I want to create a new OpenWRT/LEDE image on a new router, and install it downstream of my P2P. Then I want to redo my LAN in steps. I want to put some LAN things like my server on one segment, desktop computers which are “clients” of the farm and another segment (or two) for computers (RPi and similar) on the farm. And probably segments for wifi traffic. And other stuff. Things snowball. :slight_smile: