Heatsink without paste

Is it ok to use the Heatsink (Official one) without the paste or Thermal Heatsink Copper Pad ?

Just seems a little permanent thats all ?

Also read about the issues getting to the emmc card afterwards all though here you can flash it via usb …

No it is not ok.
You MUST put something in between to ensure good contact.

The disadvantage is of course that you can’t reach the eMMC when the heatsink is on.

1 Like

Not can’t, but it is tricky. I use a very small flathead screwdriver to lift up EMMC module and to push it down on the contacts. If careful you can do this successfully. It is a pain though and it would be nice to have easier access to the EMMC section.

1 Like

ok thanks for the TIPS …

So If I ever needed remove the sink would it just pull apart and then do i clean it and reapply ? Clean with what or how … Sorry for the Q’s

“NicoD” liking your vids by the way … ROCK ones are uesful but your pine ones and your travel ones … Impressive stuff :smile:

1 Like

Thank you Jacob.
You can reuse thermal pads. But they work a lot worse than good thermal paste. Difference can be up to 10°C.

The reason why you better not do it without a thermal pad or thermal paste is because then it’s possible that only a few small places make contact, what will make other spots a lot hotter(hotspots), and so it can burn your SoC.
So better not to use a heatsink than if you’re not using something in between. That’s less harm.

"So If I ever needed remove the sink would it just pull apart and then do i clean it and reapply ? Clean with what or how … " ??

How to Clean Thermal Paste
I would take isopropyl alcohol 90% to rub off the last remnants of the thermal paste.