Doubts about Rock 5b - before buy questions

Maybe if you wouldn’t call everyone around “morons” people would take you more seriously, how is that for an idea?

Only the ones that deserve it.

@anon18393145 It may serve you better if you try to leave emotion out of your sentiments while communicating with others who don’t agree with you. That said, I can understand where you are coming from. I received a good board(no issues for me) from Radxa. 16g variant, I did the preorder so I received mine beginning of December. The software support at this stage is not good that is just the truth. Coming from Raspberry Pi with vast and robust community that makes everything easy or Khadas with their fabulous oowow bootloader, dealing with Radxa has been a learning experience for me. I have no idea why my board has been working flawlessly with a 5v 3a rpi4 power supply regardless of the peripherals I have connected. 1tb nvme ssd etc. Also , some of the folks on this thread are clearly very knowledgeable. Yes I’ve gone back and forth a little with these bubble heads so I can understand your frustration. Find the value(if any) in what these folks say and disregard the arrogance. Good day.

Grab a powermeter and you know why. Since the power requirements are moderate.

Reality isn’t affected by people pulling random BS like ‘At a minimum you need to draw 4A @ 5v probably just to get it up’ out of their arse. But this ‘community’ here is affected if such BS does not get corrected since community members get the false impression they need a much more beefy power supply and then end up probably with one (of the many!) USB PD power bricks that result in troubles since USB PD negotiation fails. At this very moment any ‘dumb’ power source (12V preferred since anything at 5V makes no sense once exceeding 3A/15W since Ohm’s law still is valid) is trouble free by definition unlike USB PD.

Same with other BS like ‘16GB boards suffer from slower memory access than 8GB variant’. This will end up in community members making buying decisions based on desinformation. And it really doesn’t matter for which reason someone spreads BS, it’s only about calling it BS to stop desinformation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can see in other threads i have commented on that I do, until they start tossing crap at me, like happened here … “you are just trolling” for example. “you dont know what you are talking about” “you are so and so”… At that point, screw them, they get what they dish.

I do fully agree about the software, and did not expect mature software when i first got this board, as mine was perhaps the first batch that went out ( or at least 2nd )… Its a fairly new chip ( at least when the bard was designed, today its not ) but i do expect at least basic functionality, like being able to boot… and Radxa dropping the ball on PD, which is pretty much industry standard, and seemingly not caring, was really unacceptable. ( and i did go the extra mile trying everything suggested, including flashing and trying every image for months until i was blue in the face, and even getting their ‘approved’ powersuppy, from them… before i thru the towel in )

1 Like

I hope they decide to choose another company, which was the entire point of relaying my personal experience, regardless of what you think, and until you started tossing random accusations at me. And while i unfortunately dont have that level of power to do so, if i could id put legislative hurt on them and ban their products from this country. They should pay a price. ( and yes i know there are back door ways in, im not a moron, but a measurable reduction of sales = success in this situation )

Furthermore, if they had at least TRIED to support their after-sale customers, id not be as upset with them. Accidents happen, you admit it, fix it and repair good will, and move on. They have not.

If you’re trying to talk to me I didn’t. Just corrected random BS thrown here into the thread about different RAM variants showing different memory performance.

As for why you’re trying to hurt/punish Radxa in such a weird way…

Your report in another thread mentions flashing the SPI NOR first so I personally would proceed with zeroing the SPI NOR completely so you know no bootloader fragments being there any more at all, then writing one of the recent Armbian images to an SD card with verify, insert the card, power on with any ‘dumb’ power supply (5V/12V/20V doesn’t matter), wait 30 seconds and if the thing then doesn’t ping start considering the board being DOA or damaged while tinkering (BTDT personally many times).

No idea about serial or HDMI output, I’ve never used either/or with Rock 5B so far and have done everything via SSH (which works for me since I’m not interested in Rock 5B but only RK3588 in general – especially I/O features and those ARMv8.2 cores).

2 Likes

Whatever. Once on my list you dont get off it.

But to be nice, i will answer you statement: Yes my board is f-ed, right out of the box on day one, so there was no self-inflected damage. If it had booted a couple of times, then quit after i monkeyed around, yes i would most likely blame myself. I’m not new at this, contrary to what your feeble mind might think. Soon after my official OEM PSU arrived ( a month later ) to eliminate any possible PSU issues, attempts to contact both Radxa and Allnet for a replacement went unanswered. They earned my dislike.

In my case the only time i got a hint at life beyond being able to flash SPI via their tools ( alt least i assume so, there is no good way to prove it actually worked unless i can get it to boot… at least once… ) was getting UART garbage from one of the non-supported Armbian image ( Bables’ ) after yet another clearing of spi. ( which is done before each and every flash. again, i’m not new at this. ) but after a few minutes, that quit and did not return again after 2 more attempts of boot + clear spi ( even tho it should not matter since i did not do anything… i did it anyway ).

EDIT: And yes i do realize you are part of the Armbian project, and i will thank you for your contributions to that. But that does not negate the act you are an asshole by making unfounded accusations about others. And “Ah, ok, you’re just trolling intentionally.” is not just pointing out BS information, as you claim you were doing.

Here you still are. You’re quite rude, so - do your blood pressure a favor and go elsewhere.

Rock5 B isn’t for you. So noted.

And with luck my last few posts here will save a few people from wasting their time and money and energy with Radxa and their products.

And you have no idea what rude is.

I guess you really ensured in the meantime that literally nobody cares about your ‘lists’ or whatever else you’re vomitting into your keyboard :slight_smile:

The above was a simple piece of advice since your support drama constantly involves talking about the SPI flash (why?), erasing it again and again (why?) and includes sentences like this: “Using debug enabled SPI”.

To repeat it one last time: the advice is to completely zero out the SPI flash via maskrom mode, not flash anything to it and then proceed with a dumb PSU and a recent Armbian image on SD card. For the simple reason to eliminate one of the known reasons why booting might fail: conflicting boot loaders here and there. Whether that works for you or not and if you even will try it… really nobody cares (any more).

1 Like

Since you are borderline illiterate, i will repeat that i mentioned at one point i threw in the towel and its in the closet in a box. There will be no more attempts. the only value it has now is storing the fan i got for it. Ill yank that off when i need it for something else and toss the board. I kept it around mainly in case the F-heads at Radxa were willing to take it back ( of course they wont … i was being silly even thinking that ) At this point i dont want a replacement. Why would i want crap replaced with crap?

With luck i have prevent at least one other person form wasting their time with this piece of crap, and will consider that a success. Bye.

1 Like

Great, learned something new this day :slight_smile:

For us poor souls not being weaponized with english as their mother tongue it’s always important to learn…

2 Likes

Turd as in https://www.dict.cc/?s=turd ?

I know i said i was gone, but i thought id relay one last bit of data that was unexpected.

Decided to edit this. Radxa did write back a 2nd time, offered to ask the seller. ( Allnet, who ignored me first ). I wont be a hypocrite, and will give credit when its due.

You dont read well either do you?

strange seller you have .

mine broke contacted seller , seller looked at it and said yeah indeed broke , seller sends new one .

and if you react the same and disrespect people then i know for sure what is at fault .
i will be so kind to tell you that little thing your unaware of YOURSELF .

so is it with the seller as with the board you have to become friends .

good luck

I disrespect people when i’m given disrespect. I simply refuse to accept it, either online or in person ( yes. i act the same in real life too, get in my face, you are liable to get punched in yours. I also never forgive, as you have lost all trust and deserve nothing. For me, only takes once.

Furthermore, you can clearly see from other posts, i do not react this way unless provoked. And being called a liar or a troll qualify as being provoked, when i clearly say its from my personal experience.

( and the seller was Allnet, they ignored me totally )

How did they ignore you? Have you used the right platform to proceed with this ?

Ignore = zero contact.

However, Radxa seems to be stepping up finally, so i will see what they are able to do.