CSI OV5647 Camera on Rock 3A

Hi, everyone,
I have an CSI OV5647 Camera for Raspberry Pi. If possible, I’d like to use it on Rock 3A. Please provide me with any information on this issue.
Thanks.

You are not alone.

Here are some Infos that might be helpful:

• there is no support for OV5647 on “legacy” kernel, regarding some features, 3A,ISP,etc,etc…
  • there is some support for OV5647 on the mainline kernel, despite everyone saying otherwise, partial support but there is. Maybe that work landed on 5.16 for the rk35x, I haven’t looked at mara’s kernel to check it.
  • Radxa doc about the MIPI CSI seems to be the same as Rock Pi 4, so there is a chance it can work, i might be wrong.

I have seen support for GC2053 and x-chip XC7160 sensor on rk356x, but the configuration is for 4 lanes, i think.

Rock 3a hw revision is at 1.3, don’t know if they changed / fixed something on MIPI csi side.
Radxa knows their hardware, i don’t think is hard for them to give an initial dts configuration and let the users try to find ways to make it work, maybe this will bring a lot of support tickets for them and they are not willing to handle, it is just an opinion.

But i think Radxa should give some MIPI CSI road map for the Rock 3A, i would like to hear about that.

Thank you for your comment. I hope the Radxa add this item to their todo list so that many users would be happy.

We’ve added this to our todo list now.

Thank you very much, Jack. I’m looking forward to its release.

请问下,现在有没有解决驱动问题,如果已经解决,请问如何启用该功能,有没有教程!

Check the post by @avaf

How was this solved? I am looking for support of this camera in rock-4b+

In Rock3A you must edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and add dtbo filename to overlay list, like this:

/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

fdtoverlays … /…path…/overlay/rock-3ab-rpi-camera-v1p3-ov5647.dtbo

NOTE: Valid for ov5647 camera

As per your comment I added that line.

Not working,
bad instructions or could you add the additional steps for Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.19.193-47-rockchip-g0f91d24e217c aarch64)

We released one ROCK 3A Debian11 OS. https://github.com/radxa-build/rock-3a/releases/download/b25/rock-3a_debian_bullseye_xfce_b25.img.xz

You can use rsetup to enable camera ov5647.

hey @Stephen ! Thanks for the prompt reply.
After updating the ubuntu image and adding

“rock-3ab-rpi-camera-v2-imx219 rock-3ab-rpi-camera-v1p3-ov5647” in the /boot/uEnv.txt.

both camera’s were picked up in the Cheese app.
The issue with the ubuntu image is no gpu drivers in 4.19 kernel.

currently trying out the minimal image herehttps://github.com/qxhome/rk3568-kernel5.10-alldrivers/releases/tag/ubuntu22.04-kernel5.10-rk3568-rock3a-alldrivers-beta3
and installing ubuntu-desktop.

Are you familiar with this image?

Hi, to use IMX219/OV5647 camera, please use ROCK 3A Debian11 OS with kernel 5.10.

I’m no familiar with this images.

GPU support is quite crucial, does this Debian image have the panfrost drivers?

OK that’s a nope! LLVM renderer…You guys must dislike gpu huh!

I am using CLI version of your ROCK 3A Debian bullseye.

Which option in rsetup is best for clone OV5647?

I have in rsetup:
[ ] Enable OKdo 5MP Camera
[ ] Enable Radxa Camera 8M
[ ] Enable Raspberry Pi Camera v1.3
[ ] Enable Raspberry Pi Camera v2

And I have tried all but am not getting detection.

With Okdo 5MP overlay, I heard IR clicks from the camera so have kept that one. With it fswebcam responds:
Error selecting input 0
VIDIOC_S_INPUT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Is this related to this comment?:
https://forum.radxa.com/t/ov5647-camera-on-cm3-using-rpi-io-board/14619/2?u=allodyne
… because I have no idea how to do that :slight_smile:
Thanks!