Could not boot. Too low power supply?

I have tried several PD power supplies and cables combination with my 5B. All I got is 5v 0.2A which is obviously too low to boot it up. My monitor seems could not receive any HDMI input. What should I do? Thanks

Blockquote 系统在SD卡上吗?

只是把unbuntu刷到nvme ssd上,還有什麼要做嗎?

I had the same problem and had bought the USB C charger 65w and USB C to USB C cable from allnet

After changing to a spare USB A to USB C charger, I’ve been able to boot my rock 5b. Maybe try that, YMMV.

Personally I’m a bit annoyed about the useless cable and charger bought

Have you checked Rock5 does not work on most PD power supplies?

1 Like

I got 2 from allnet… :expressionless:

看起来象没写spi

I’m also having issues with every usb-c pd power supply I have. Even my m1’s charger isn’t negotiating higher than 12v 2a. And my 65w only negotiates to 12v 1.5 amp, even though it supports

9v 3a, 12v 3a, 15v 3a, 20v 3.25a. I did follow the instructions to update the loader/spi and nothing changed.

It has booted from literally every usb brick I have used. My 5v usb-c pi canokit power supply, my ravpower 90w usb-c power supply, my samsung pps power supple, etc. Boots every time. My ravpower is the only one that has supplied 19 volts, everything else is between 4.8 and 5 volts.

Yes, a strict 5V adapter with 5 to 6A seems to work - exact same solution but hopefully, as my 3 PD adapters all failed the same way, I guessed it was better to try a 5V only option before buying another adapter

Update to the previous answer: the 30W adapter delivering 5V allowed me to boot and start the Debian GUI, I was also able to test the OpenGL ES test and browsed the web but… if I start Minecraft server it crashes within seconds, obviously due to the use of multiple threads.
Confirmed with other processes: once power need raises, it crashes.

The only stable option I found are two power banks of about 100Wh providing 5/9/12 V options. While the rock 4B+ uses 12V and up to 0.8A, the rock 5B only uses 5V and up to 2.5A under full load. Bad, very bad, as I have to use a very short USB cable for 5V to avoid instability, but it works at least fine. Why only 5V and not 9 or 12V ???

I tried a full load test with the OpenGL ES test together with Linux kernel compilation on 8 threads: fully stable but the passive heatsink is not strongh enough to limit the temperature (70°C after 3 minutes). The rock 5B remained stable in this 5 min stress test, powered by one of the 100Wh external battery, and showed a max power consumption of 2.4A x 5.2V.

Second successful test phase: I started the Minecraft server 1.19.2 (paperMC) and played for about 4 hours without any issue, the battery had to deliver 5W on average, which is quite good, slightly above the
rock4b+ but with a much better experience (no loss of connection).

Important and summary

So, I had a solution to test and benchmark, but it was not convenient, as absolutely no power supply I have (5 tested but only 1 allowing boot and low load) allow a full use of the rock 5B.
Fortunately, upgrading the boot image did solve the PD problem. If not all work as expected, most power supply can work after a ‘sudo apt-get update’ on the official debian distro. Now the Allnet PD adapter (65W) work with this debian install on the eMMC.

You can directly feed 9V or 12V to ROCK 5B USB C port.