Configured Armbian move to NVME

Hello,
I have Rock PI 4A v1.4 and currently running from eMMC where is configured Armbian (a lot of configuration and installation done).

Now I would like to move this configured system from eMMC to NVME SSD and boot from this.

I found some topics related to boot from NVME with updated SPI but I am not sure with steps if I would like to move system with a lot of configured features and not use default Armbian image.

Can you help me anybody pls?

Not sure if we have a clean one click solution but workaround is to detach eMMC, use SDcard with Radxa system and update SPI. Then create ext4 file-system on NVME, boot from eMMC, rsync its content to NVME drive and adjust UUID in /boot/armbianEnv.txt to point toward NVME drive (blkid to read it out).

So better way will be fresh installation on SSD and copy all needed from eMMC home folder and so on … :frowning:

No need. SPI has to be flashed separate since this procedure hasn’t been added to armbian-config yet. Once SPI is update, Armbian can boot directly from your NvME drive. If supported by that SPI boot loader … some drives doesn’t work due to lack of support within boot loader. That I can’t help to fix atm.

Let’s assume your NvME is the one of the supported ones. In that case you only need to copy content of your already established OS on eMMC and tell boot script about changed ID of your drive … which I explained in previous post. That’s all. If you break it somehow, your OS on eMMC is intact. After you transfer the system to NvME, you can/must remove eMMC.

ok thank you … and is there some danger that after flash of SPI I will not able to boot from eMMC?

And if yes so how I can recover SPI to previous version?

No, unless Radxa folks didn’t mix something up - but I see people had success so this is not the case.

Rockchip is virtually unbreakable so don’t worry about.

1 Like

You can use this answer:

You need however to change grub-install and update-grub2 to native Armbian commands.
So this answer only tells you part of the solution.

Thank you pbies … I dont understand exactly what all of those commands do so it looks little bit complicated for me … but I will study, thx

Hi,

There is one more option if you have trouble with SPI: boot from eMMC, root from NVME.

To do this, create the root partition on your NVME drive, using gparted for example.

After that run the following command from Armbian:
sudo armbian-config

and choose option to move / install to NVME partition.

that doesn’t work (any more, probably?) See my post here