BSP latest kernel support for Rock5A/B?

Please stop spamming with drama

3 Likes

Be who you are.

I am telling you this for your own info and nothing ad hominem, but your manner and spamming of other forums means I will not touch Armbian with a barge pole and never will.
It would seem others get exactly what I meant and @Pavel_Hofman as nice to meet you, managed to understand completely.
Try contributing some simple basics than the sales speak as that may create revenue than the negative impression of Armbian you so often provide.
Also huge organisations operate on ‘A little by many’ (wikipedia) and its one of many revenue streams any org can use concurrently.

Armbian patches are now sync’ed with unmodified version: https://github.com/radxa-repo/bsp/issues/59

I’ve been listening to the armbian team complain about these problems for years, and complaining about users complaining something isn’t supported. Armbian is a hostile environment. I posted about asking about something to do with PCIe on the RK3568 about a year ago and all I got from Armbian team was “we don’t get enough donations blah blah blah, dont expect this blah blah blah”. It was not a developer friendly environment. I would understand if they shipped a usable product and had these issues, but for the past 2 years just installing wireguard on a rock 3a breaks the whole system bringing in a not compatible kernel and breaking boot. Armbian is a very terrible system, it’s bloated and broken, but I do highly appreciate the work that is done with these chips by the Armbian team. But the attitude towards these greasy companies like Radxa and Rockchip and the attitude towards their own users, when they can’t even ship a competent product, is pathetic. It’s been years and it should be well understood Radxa and Rockchip are utter garbage with software support. If you do not enjoy developing Armbian I’m not exactly sure why you are even doing it anyways. I love software development, and it confuses me the Armbian team behaves the way they do if they truly enjoy it also, which I suspect is not the case, and from what they’ve been complaining about, they’ve turned it into “just doing it for donations”. If it was truly for the community, I wouldn’t have been seeing the Armbian team flame users for years over asking simple questions.

1 Like

What about respecting that something is supported and something isn’t, support is best effort, support is limited. Why its limited? Because it can’t be unlimited. If you are using someone else credit card, you can’t set limits on it. Or you can?

No need to discuss reasons as you (users) will not change your (their) attitude. To understand this, only commons sense is needed. No fancy education.

Users violence is extreme and endless. Agree. They feel like they are consumer with rights cheat, steal and complain and direct their frustration with tons of bugs that exists in open source software. For every line of code, for every bug. Who is responsible?

If you are asking for support, you are not a developer but user / consumer which is not welcome in development process. End users are just making development worse and most expensive with their repeated useless questions. Since users are not covering any costs, my duty is to ask you for your cooperation. As this is often unheard, there is constant fight and hostility. tl;dr; If you can’t help, sit there and shut the f* up. Yeah, I know its hard to get that, but after several polite tries … This “support” communication and fighting big personalities, which are the smartest out of all, is actually the biggest waste / expense, not development.

It seems its better then stock and the same as forks. If you need better then this, use something that is better. If not, contribute! Complaining is not your right. You can open a ticket and that’s it.

Armbian is trying to patch this problem and you are not happy and Radxa is also not happy. How is this possible?

Armbian is not perfect, but its the best what can be provided and already this is very expensive. How can you expect that Armbian developers covers even more? from their pockets instead of vendors. For you and often for all Linux community? Most of Linux distros ports from Armbian, adding little to nothing back or up.

Nobody does that. They sell hardware and their profit is between promises of that completeness and reality. Making and selling dev boards is dirty cheap. Software support is different world.

Most of people that work on the project are well paid highly educated individuals that does this in their free time, some staff is professionals. If we would sell our time and expertise on the market, we are looking at millions annually.

We do it for fun, but within our limits. When force and violence is used from your side, this is not the case anymore and I ask that you to pay costs you are making. No? Simply go somewhere else. Its open source. Doing for donations? Doing it for that 0.1%? Seriously? This is for your redemption, appreciation, contribution, perhaps to mitigate damages that were made because you don’t understand or respect general or specific terms. Donations covers … nothing and it would perhaps be better to remove them as it only helps driving this delusion. This is so far away …

proving my point even further. im not arguing with you, plus there is an obvious language barrier because u didnt fully understand half of what i said.

1 Like

Every professional developer knows this: answering some “simple” technical questions can require several weeks of additional work on top of months of work. 90% of Linux/hardcore it users (or close to 100% if we look at general population) will never buy this. Ratio from possible to resolved vs. impossible to even start is 1:1000. So, you can keep “truly for the community” outside this picture.

Misunderstanding is pretty big problem, wars, whose with tanks and rockets, exists because of that. I am human and will understand things wrong. I did my best to clarify where I think you are missing the point and apologize for parts that I didn’t understand them right.

I would have a look at https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip/releases/tag/v1.28 as he is doing some of the best and cleanest Ubuntu images for near all RK3588(s) boards.
Also keeps scratching away at Mainline which is very near complete
https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip/releases/tag/v1.26
Noticed the other day he is already working on the 6.1 version of the BSP.

Maybe try there https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip/discussions as there are also just users helping users and maybe think of https://github.com/sponsors/Joshua-Riek

1 Like

You already said that. Stop spamming.

Stop telling others what to do and spamming long lists of irelevant.

If he wants a good image and somewhere maybe less toxic its my suggestion.

It was an answer to your useless provocative question. And you know it.

This is how I would describe your posts. Look at your post production rate.

I forgot. You are the good guy.

Its a suggestion I am merely a user, he does a ton of work and when he doesn’t have an answer or the time he merely doesn’t answer.
I find that much more preferable than a whole load of tangential word salad.

For god sake, @igorp you are still not tired of repeating this. If you can only say “where is money” please, create different thread and do it here. Yours actions actually (imho) more counterproductive towards donation part

Your reputation on this forum is already around rock bottom as far as I see. Yes, armbian is great, and you are doing great work supporting it etc etc. But it’s getting really…somewhat annoying to see this in every thread that touch linux mainstream or armbian.

On side note, @stuartiannaylor, stop wasting time on this troll-man, and thank you for your work in this thread

4 Likes

Developing a building framework on the top of others’ work does not make you a bigger developer than people who develop their own professional system on the top of existing development boards. His task is to develop his system and not to dig into the problems why even the basic advertised functionality does not work on the bought board.

If this were true, you wouldn’t be spewing crap about donations and sponsoring into every post you make, including topics that have absolutely nothing to do with your project.

3 Likes

There is another image for RK3588 which is interesting as its UEFI which might see even GPU’s on the PCIE.

Its Arch Linux and still a bit experimental but install guide is here https://github.com/SputnikRocket/ArchLinuxARM-rk3588-installer/wiki/Installation

There are some really good and also interesting images from various sources now for all RK3588(s) boards.

1 Like

Armbian is build framework. We didn’t sell you anything and are simply not responsible for lack of hardware features in particular boards. I hope this is clear now?

Yes, we provide mainly mainline based SDKs, but If board vendor is advertising some features and they are not working in mainline based kernel, that is completely normal. Nobody has those features and what this has to do with Armbian? Mainline based support is incomplete regardless of tools or OS.

I understand all this.

For me basic functionality is networking, but I didn’t sell you hardware nor advertise that HW covers features you need. That is indeed your problem. I can help you resolve them, but not in my free time.

I guess free time well spent is getting into flame wars on the Internet. Be who you are

3 Likes

@igorp shut up, enough!

5 Likes