Archlinux on Rock5b

Point to treedir in your extlinux.conf for now, this package currently does not handle ftbs correctly and i will update it soon anyways.

Iā€™m not sure what ā€œtreedirā€ means. I assumed you meant change devicetreedir /dtbs/rockchip to devicetreedir /dtbs. I after I did the board still didnā€™t boot.

I think some recent dicord messages said changes from that specific mesa fork will never be merged unfortunately :frowning:

Do we know the reason why Mesa is late to support Mali Valhall chips and if they are working on it?

see that post if that can help,
this implies you created rockchip dir under /boot/dtbs and move all dtbs files inside:

ll /boot/dtbs/        
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 20480 Jan  8 21:54 rockchip

Booted gnattu image and followed boogiepops tutorial.

Hail thee boogiepop and gnattu, sons of Arch!

Thought the board would melt when installing the packages! 85C using the Radxa passive heatsink.

Lol enjoy, now im preparing a kernel package where you can build the kernel directly from git so we can torture this little guy more.

3 Likes

Because arm, the GPU vendor, does not want to ship open-sourced user-space driver, and Valhall GPUs are CSF GPUs which requires both the kernel and the userspace to change. Without direct help from the GPU vendor, we have to wait for a couple of months even years to get the GPU fully supported. This is unfortunate but this is what chips vendors usually doing now. We are having companies like Collabora hiring engineers working full time for such projects so Iā€™m sure it is work in progress but we have to wait.

2 Likes

Ok same situation as between NVidia and Linux then. I looked and found some articles on phoronix saying Valhall support was already available in Mesa but G610 wasnā€™t mentionned, so seems like this specific GPU model is still lacking. For now only the panfork is caring about it which unfortunately isnā€™t part of mesa.

Interesting so is it a matter of the vendor to decide or is it this specific architecture CSF (Command Stream Frontend) which requires support both in kernel and user space?
That reminds me the complains around nvidia drivers while switching to wayland, and how nvidia planed to do itā€¦

Itā€™s the latter. The pre-CSF Valhall GPUs are supported in mesa already.

Looking forward to test this package :slight_smile:

Have no idea what that means but sound awsome :blush:

Such would automate your tutorial only or is there any reason to install such kernel package after completing the tutorial with Arch up and cruising?

New kernel packages are ready, i had to change the linux boot image names and the package names to comply Archlinux naming conventions. When you use the new kernel packages you have to adapt the extlinux.conf. But the good news is there i also provided a template that you can directly use after adspting your uuid. Descriptions are updated in the first post.

@gnattu go faster is directly included in git version. @benno you can use the new packages and your issues will be gone with the extlinux.conf

King in the North!

Tools needed are base-devel and gcc? Something more?

makepkg -si will auto install the tools you need, -s stands for install stuff that package depends to build

It boots! After trying the installation process again I was very happy to find that I had a working system.

1 Like

Thanks for providing custom kernel build option. Iā€™m gonna try it.
Out of curiosity, is the linux-radxa-rkbsp5-git built from rockchip sources + radxa vendor patches + custom patches as I saw a list of kernel patches including the gofaster ones.

Also does anyone experience randomly working usb-c video output?
Iā€™m connecting my board through a portable monitor passthrough + video usb-c port which should both power the board and receive video signal.
Powering is almost working (sometimes bootloop occurs) but it seems usb-c video signal has issues. Iā€™m sure I saw it working once, so maybe a matter of firmwareā€¦

Yes radxa fork of rockhip 5x bsp with all known patches both ftom radxa and icecream including go faster. You can auto add your patch in a subfolder called custom, you will see it pkgbild script preapare function. Also kernels and mpp things are AURed. You can directly use yay for those packages also.

1 Like

Ah ok, didnā€™t know you had pushed that to AUR already. Will use that instead of building from the GIT then.

Not sure why, Iā€™m getting around 700 score with glmark2-es-wayland under gnome-wayland (was getting above 900 on my previous armbian installation). Will see how graphics perfs improves after using custom kernel.

Letā€™s hope we will have upstream kernel version available, and official mesa support for mali-G610, so we are not using forked version of everything anymore ā€¦lol

1 Like

After nearly an hour compilation time and above 73Ā°C reached (using my very hacky custom heatsink),
everything went well except that little conflict at the end

looking for conflicting packages...
:: linux-radxa-rkbsp5-git and linux-rockchip-bsp5 are in conflict (linux). Remove linux-rockchip-bsp5? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: linux-radxa-rkbsp5-git and linux-rockchip-bsp5 are in conflict 

Just had to manually remove previous kernel version first with sudo pacman -Rsc linux-rockchip-bsp5 because seems i wasnā€™t allowed to answer when prompted to replace.
Then fortunately it was smart enough not to rebuild everything from scratch :slight_smile: