5A corrupts eMMC (was 5A does not boot)

Sure. The pre-installed SPI flash cannot accommodate the system image. I use dd command to write image to the eMMC. https://docs.radxa.com/en/rock5/rock5a/getting-started/setup

dd if=/path/to/image of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M && sync

Just did some further testing:

• Wiped the first 5 megs of the eMMC (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/whatever bs=5M count=1) so that the 5A would not attempt to boot from it
  • placed the eMMC on the 5A
  • booted the 5A off of the microSD with radxaOS B16
  • began writing to the eMMC (dd if=/dev/zero etc) and watched the kernel log fill up with I/O errors

I do not believe I have a bad eMMC because I can write to it all day long on other computers with no issues.

It’s probably a bit off-topic but I don’t understand your post. What suspicious scripts? Everything in DietPi is opt-in. What value does DietPi “take” from armbian? They are not in competition at all, dietpi is more of a server distro while armbian is for “everything”. Also, all of them are free, so nobody is “taking” any value from anyone else.

So you trust and believe there is nothing wrong? Analyise all of them and you will understand what I am talking about. If you don’t see problems, find experts who can.

Believe or know? To my knowing, for many many years, since early days, nothing was opt-in-ed, data collection was default on. That would be a recent change then and just one small bad value less in the whole picture.

“What not”? You will have simpler answer.

Do you know how their image is made or what is added value? How hardware is “supported”? Isn’t perhaps most of important added value made by someone else? Image is hacked together with a script that downloads Armbian / Debian image that contains all critical and important (firmware, kernel, boot loaders) value. Then it comes excessive branding that adds nothing to users, everything to brand. Further. Certain critical startup scripts made by experts are replaced with theirs, made by an amateur, so you have impression they are doing something useful - and you don’t even doubt into, which is most troubling. Even htop is tweaked to make you think OS is lighter, “better then others”. They add their 3rd party software installer (does that makes it a server oriented distro?), which is after many years getting a function that was added to Armbian some 5 years ago … to check if installed service port is alive (No harm if they learn and other people ideas are implemented. This is good points of open source.) What about updates, fixes, improvements, except their sw installer and scripts that are not needed to be around in first place? All this comes from Armbian and other FOSS developers. If they forget to tell that very clear, value is taken … or just playing dirty.

Value that is related to interaction with hardware, stability, realibility, security? Nothing is related to Dietpi, while I am sure most of their users think it is. This is how one - take and associate value with X and don’t contribute - in open source. Another example of “good” open source players.

User: Stability and reliability (they are not responsible for any) is exceletent. Thank you for your hard work.
Diepi: You are welcome! (and what exactly they did for that they don’t tell. Nothing!)

Imagine this scenario in bulk, on small industrial scale. Not to mention that when something is broken - oh, this is not our fault, “they” have to fix … which is in conflict with good practice of developing and providing open source software. They take and contribute nothing to common. We are all in this sh* If they provide images to end users, they have responsibilities, while they don’t want to have them.

Users don’t care for this much, who is stealing from whom, but developers can be really pissed off when this happens. This relatinship is already fragile and it is not in end-users interests that developers are pissed off. While they are pissing off many people, while you don’t understand that or notice.

Providing software under their own brand while forwarding users to someoneone else support resources (systematically) is yet another way of stealing. Or playing dirty. Pick one of. Try to get support for Ubuntu on Debian forums and you might get “luck” to get colorful demonstration of what I mean.

They are claiming superiority over others, so I would understand it as “yes, they do”. They are better then Debian, better then Armbian, better then everyone. OK, how? Justification in technical sense is a complete BS or dishonest at best. Newbies are unable to see trought that … They were warned by several people and its still there after several years.

Sales perspective can be whatever, but in technical sense its Debian image with optimisations that were taken, mainly by one person inspected by nobody, from Armbian and others. Some directly, some as a concept. Again, nothing bad in implementing solutions from other people.

Why nobody takes anything from them? Believe me that open source developers are constantly looking around for great work, different, fixes and better solutions. We would take if there would be something to take. We would implement all reported bugs and solutions if there would be resoures. Maintaining this is extreme and they contribute nothing. At least nothing more then end users that are just using this value and complaining on bugs. SW installer is their work, but its just too bloated, unsecure and tied to their weird system configs that it can’t be reused by anyone without significant rework, cleaning, improvements …

FOSS development is suffering a lot of problems and abuses, some are subtle, some more direct. We have exeprienced several times that our code was resurfaced elsewhere with our © removed while changing nothing. Some people even took the code and sell it for money as theirs while the one who ordered forgot on original authors. This is happening behind the scenes while people who invest nothing and has nothing to loose claim how better they are.

Booted my 5A with the RebornOS image and tried writing to the eMMC, it is also unable to write to the eMMC:

[ 1930.811994] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 0 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x100000 phys_seg 86 prio class 0
[ 1930.812005] buffer_io_error: 11 callbacks suppressed
[ 1930.812009] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 0, lost async page write
[ 1930.812046] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 1, lost async page write
[ 1930.812054] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 2, lost async page write
[ 1930.812061] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 3, lost async page write
[ 1930.812067] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 4, lost async page write
[ 1930.812073] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 5, lost async page write
[ 1930.812079] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 6, lost async page write
[ 1930.812085] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 7, lost async page write
[ 1930.812091] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 8, lost async page write
[ 1930.812097] Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 9, lost async page write
[ 1930.821064] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 688 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x104000 phys_seg 128 prio class 0
[ 1930.821674] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 1712 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x100000 phys_seg 42 prio class 0

I do nothing of the sort, I am just asking. It is you who said there are “suspicious scripts”. If they are there, it’s easy to show this. I am not here to prove your point for you.

As far as I remember, you are given the choice during the initial setup (I may be wrong). What is wrong with this? Also, these are the results of the data sent: https://dietpi.com/survey/
It’s just a survey of hardware and software.

I don’t understand this sentence.

Yeah. It’s a Debian image modified using shell scripts. No mystery there.

Sure. They take a kernel from another distro and run dietpi scripts on top of it. Again, no mystery there.

I don’t know where you are getting this. It’s not a good idea to try to imagine what others are thinking, because most often you will be wrong. As for the startup scripts, what’s the problem? If there is a mistake, you can report it, no?

Please explain how “htop is tweaked”. Also, does anyone ever run htop on different distros and compare them?

Well, the installer certainly helps a lot when you want to set up various pieces of software without much hassle. For me, for example, this is the only way I’ve been able to set up a functioning VNC remote desktop. All the guides I’ve ever read failed. How is this not added value? And there are many other cases in which to set up something I’d need to spend hours (like, I dunno, nextcloud? Home assistant?), while in dietpi you just need a single command.
I tried the armbian software installer. It has much fewer software options and (what irks me a lot) usually doesn’t show what it’s doing. You know, the sole fact that something exists doesn’t make it good.

DietPi explicitly just works on top of other software. And whether the scripts are needed or not, let everyone decide on their own.

Again, dietpi is built on top of the software others make. Nobody pretends otherwise. It’s an opinionated collection of scripts.

And what exactly is the problem with this? Isn’t that the point of free software - you use whatever you like, in whatever way you like?

I have seen some dietpi developers contribute to other open source projects as well. But they are different projects. Dietpi just uses them.

You seem to take this very seriously. Dietpi seems to be mainly a hobbyist project, also aimed at hobbyists. What are their responsibilities?

So what? Isn’t software ultimately for its users?

The user doesn’t care. As Linus said.

OK, this is finally something concrete to discuss. Maybe you’re right. But it would be nice if you pointed out exactly what is being manipulated here. Also, since then they changed some of the packages, the results today are different. For other distros as well.

There are no sales taking place here. Nobody buys this. What are you talking about?

OK, so do we agree?

I am not the best person to talk with about this because I think the concept of copyright is flawed. Or, if it’s not, impossible to enforce (and if enforced, would create a total dystopia).

This is not the fault of those who sell code that someone else wrote, rather the situation in which “selling code” is possible is at fault here. But this has nothing to do with Dietpi as nobody sells it. And also, I don’t get the bit about investing. Yes, most users don’t invest anything except their time (if you’d allow me to use this expression).

I really don’t get why you would attack a completely separate project, one which also makes almost no money. I tried dietpi for rock5 and it was much worse than Armbian for the purpose of a media center. But I do use it to run a raspberry pi 4 based, headless server. If I wanted to switch the server hardware to rock5, which one would I use? Honestly I’d prefer to use Armbian, but setting up many pieces of software is much, much easier in dietpi. For me it saves a lot of time. Is this not “value”?

Damages are hidden and difficult to understand while cheap benefits are easy to see.

I don’t think they have time for dealing with other projects except seeking profits in opening bugs for “their” software - “supporting” yet another hardware, sales and soliciting users takes a lot of time.

Most of projects in this place are hobbyist, nobody gets coverage, including Armbian. If you take from other projects that your look better and tell other projects to solve bugs for you while you contribute nothing but retarded comparisons, it is just dirty at minimum.

Don’t argue with the messenger? If you have the knowledge to understand what I am talking about, check, do not ask for enlightenment. If you don’t understand, then its not easy to show and there is nothing I will do. It is too wasteful. No offence, but your education or lack of it is your problem, not mine. They are teaching you how cheap making software is and you are happy with this fat white lie, while developers knows that development is full of pain, tears and frustrations.

Telling copycat projects that plays dirty to fix mistakes in their code while copying your work? Or even sent fixes directly to them? Don’t you think you are asking a bit too much?

Very simple - certain switch (that is not on by default) hides certain processes. And if you run it, you see less processes. For 99% of average Joes won’t look nothing suspicious - you trust them anyway. I saw at once that there is something fishy. I am used to run htop all the time and I know its generally popular so its important to fake it if you have intention to con. I am sure there are other fake hacks to “improve OS”.

They do, but this is irrelevant for you so you don’t even try to see it.

Stealing credits is worse thing you can do in free software. It can be done subtle or clearly. In both cases damage is made.

In reality it is a long bash script that installs software. Everything else is from others, true, but it doesn’t look that way. But they are behind stability of hardware too … and on and on.

There are many bash scripts around that do the same and you can trust a lot more. Here its a messy spaghetti script with terrible quality … which you don’t want to give system privileges too.

Just had a new eMMC module delivered, 16GB instead of 64GB, and Rock 5A boots and works fine with it… Could it be that the size of a module is an issue?

I dunno I thought that these things are there to serve their users. You don’t have an obligation to do any of this of course, but by withholding info that might improve user experience you are working against the users. Now the question is: what would make you stop withholding this? Should DietPi cease to exist? Merge with Armbian under one big flag? I really don’t understand what your endgame is here.

We will probably never agree because I think that copying can’t ever be stealing (because the other person still has the other thing). Armbian still exists while dietpi exists. Nobody sells anything.

You are “sure” but don’t care to elaborate? Then why do you tell me that “I don’t have the knowledge” or whatever, while it is you who claims something without concrete examples?

I will investigate the htop thing. What is the switch that was changed?

I wish I could delete posts in my thread. Y’all need to take this convo somewhere else, please.

Regarding htop, by default it doesn’t show the kernel threads, which apparently means dietpi’s htop isn’t showing the truth about your system, while arbian I guess tweaks htop to show kernel threads by default. Big f’ing whoop. Can y’all go bicker about this somewhere else? The bottom line is that yes, dietpi does install a more slim distro, and there’s a need for this from certain users. It’s all open source, you can see what the scripts are doing and there’s no secrets.

3 Likes

You’d be hard-pressed to explain how the size matters. I bought this eMMC with the 5A from AllnetChina, not some random ebay merchant. You’d think it would work.
But you do confirm that the 5A and eMMCs does work, so that’s interesting.

My 64GB eMMC module comes from Allnet as well.
I’ve just successfully made it work by switching from HS400 to HS200.
Basically, I had to apply this commit to rock-5a.dts:

diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3588s-rock-5a.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3588s-rock-5a.dts
index 55fd83e8bc9c..63cdded53823 100644
--- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3588s-rock-5a.dts
+++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3588s-rock-5a.dts
@@ -407,15 +407,13 @@ &saradc {
 /* Storage */
 /* eMMC */

&sdhci {
        bus-width = <8>;
-       no-sdio;
-       no-sd;
        non-removable;
        max-frequency = <200000000>;
-       mmc-hs400-1_8v;
+       mmc-hs200-1_8v;
        /delete-property/ mmc-hs400-enhanced-strobe;
        pinctrl-names = "default";
        pinctrl-0 = <&emmc_rstnout &emmc_bus8 &emmc_clk &emmc_cmd &emmc_data_strobe>;
        status = "okay";
 };

I also don’t understand why.

That is not stealing, but usually depends on the deal we have. If you took my software, you took that deal even you didn’t read it. Software is almost never provided without terms of use.

Taking the credits is.

Everyone is selling, even you. This story, your stand point. Money is not the only currency there is.

Exactly, there is intent to manipulate with you. Next question should be: why? But I think we already know the answer.

Fighting bad players is hard. Users don’t care, we know that too.

Sorry. I won’t continue this.

2 Likes

Can you try overriding and increasing the pull-up level (drive-strength) of all the data lines here: kernel/rk3588s-pinctrl.dtsi at stable-5.10-rock5 · radxa/kernel · GitHub ?

PCB traces may be a bit too long (or other issue) for the default settings, hence why it works fine in lower HS mode or inherently slower cards (like the 16 GB one).

Sorry, I don’t really know how to do this. Can you give me some example of how it’s done?

Similarly, I am having trouble booting Rock 5A from emmc.
After powering on, the blue LED does not light up or even if it does
dimmc_rockhip fe2c0000.mmc: busy; trying anyway
and cannot proceed to the next step.
I would like to know the solution.
The emmc and power supply are purchased from allnet china.

Like what @GinKage said, I was not able to reproduce this on 16GB Foresee eMMC module. I recently worked around a different eMMC issue on ROCK 4 by reducing to HS200 so I’ll test if that solves the issue.

@dylandn @hiro and @nyanmisaka please leave your eMMC size and model here as well.

One official Foresee 64G eMMC module from Allnet and one homebrew KIOXIA 64G eMMC module (THGAMRG9T23BAIL). Both of them work fine with the official USB 3 eMMC reader and Rock 5B.

iIt’s a Samsung 16GB KLMAG1JETD-B041